Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Shipping Option help: Free first class, priority mail at a fee  (Read 4276 times)

Offline astonishedman

• View Profile
I need to be able to offer two shipping choices.
1. Free First Class with USPS
2. Priority Mail (USPS) at $8 for the first item and $1 for each additional item.

I'm having trouble finding a configuration of extensions that will accomplish this. First, the per-item module doesn't offer a second price for additional items. Second, it seems if I add Free Shipping as an option, then it overrides the other options price and lists all options as free.

Any ideas on how to configure to get the desired result?

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping Option help: Free first class, priority mail at a fee
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:36:01 AM »
Dont be confused in Free Shipping setting in products and Free Shipping delivery method https://abantecart.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AD/pages/17694767/Free+Shipping+delivery

Offline astonishedman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the differences. Neither option fulfills the need. We need an option to choose "free shipping" by first class mail, or opt for priority mail  at $8 for the first item and $1 for each additional item. Both of the existing free options come in not as a choice, but forced when conditions are satisfied.

I'm finding the shipping extensions to not be very flexible. Any other suggestions?

Offline astonishedman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »
I found a solution! 

I found the module for weight based shipping had some flexibility. So I set all products to 1 pound and then in the rates entered 1:8.00,2:9.00,3:10.00 and so on. Since each item was listed as 1 pound it treated them as number of items instead of weight.  Then I had to go into the languages and change "Weight Based Shipping" to "USPS Priority Mail" to match what we wanted the option to be.

I also found that the default free shipping extension would indeed show up as a choice. So I set this at a minimum of .01 to make it always a choice.

As a suggestion, maybe add a parameter to per item shipping module to allow first item one price and additional items a second price. Other "carts" have the ability to do this and it seems it would be an easy add.

Also, it would be nice to have the ability in the extension to set the title of what that extension shows up as.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 01:42:04 AM »
Also, it would be nice to have the ability in the extension to set the title of what that extension shows up as.

Hi. You can change most of the text in Language Definitions https://abantecart.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AD/pages/15466660/Language+Definitions

Offline imediaarts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 05:32:40 PM »
Regarding shipping method, I chose USPS as my only shipping method. On the checkout page, the name shows up as "text_" instead of "United States Post Office" which is the name displayed in the language definitions as the text_usps_name translation. Why is this happening? Shouldn't "United States Postal Service" be displayed on the checkout page? Also, why is "Edit Shipping" displaying as an option to the buyer on the checkout page if I only offer one shipping method? Thanks.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 01:31:17 AM »
On the checkout page, the name shows up as "text_" instead of "United States Post Office" which is the name displayed in the language definitions as the text_usps_name translation. Why is this happening?

Something is broken or definition was missing in your language. What is your default language?