Author Topic: increase number of items shown in ONE ROW (more than 4)  (Read 4057 times)

Offline breamillman

• View Profile
increase number of items shown in ONE ROW (more than 4)
« on: June 01, 2018, 05:44:21 PM »
Hello - I was wondering if someone could tell me how to increase the number of items shown in a row.
Changing all the settings within admin in the settings-appearance to more than 4 just increases the number of rows - not the number of products shown in 1 row.
For example default is 4 shown in 1 row. If you increase to 8 that goes to 4 items in a row x 2 rows. If you increase to 10 that goes to 2 rows of 4 and a 3rd row of just 2 items.
I would like all 10 items to show in just 1 row across - so the items will be smaller & less rows for large product counts.
I have also decreased the size of the thumbnails etc and it simply decreases the size of the image and the rest of the product square remains the same size - thus keeping it 4 items in a row.

I have read all the manuals and done a million searches and all the answers talk about the above admin tweeks -  as people are misunderstanding the question.
A few answers have been to change the code in the core files of product and product listing etc -  to reference columns in the lines like this code
div class="col-md-3 col-sm-6 col-xs-12"
I have tried that and either nothing changes - or if you increase those numbers like 3 to 6 6 to 12 12 to 24 it actually makes less items in a row - only 2 or 1.
If you go the other way 3 to 1 6 to 3 and 12 to 6 it keeps 4 items in the row but then shrinks the items and crams them over to the left leaving a huge area of blank.

I feel like I've combed through the code everywhere looking for something that calls only 4 items to the row but don't see anything anywhere that makes a difference when it's changed.
You would think this would be an easy fix.

I would like this option because I have nearly 1000 products in 1 category and that's a lot of pages to scroll through for the customer. Increasing the number of items shown per page just makes a ton of scrolling down then still a ton of pages to click through. With 50 items per page that's 18 pages to click through. It would be great if I could make the products smaller to show ideally 10 or 12 items per row to decrease the number of rows and therefore pages.

Any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I currently run a heavily modded osc-max store and I'm starting to work on one in abantecart to hopefully switch to if I can get it to suit my needs.

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: increase number of items shown in ONE ROW (more than 4)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
Welcome to AbanteCart breamillman

Thank you for the explanation, but you forgot to mention where do you need to increase the number of items shown in a row.
What section (admin/storefront) and what page?
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: increase number of items shown in ONE ROW (more than 4)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
I can guess that you refer to limit of 4 in the main page blocks.

To edit setting, you go to admin -> settings -> general. You will see all limits settings.

Take latest products block for instance.
Code is here:
https://github.com/abantecart/abantecart-src/blob/master/public_html/storefront/controller/blocks/latest.php#L46

Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help