Author Topic: Multiple Canonical URLs to the same product via category manufacturer etc  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Captain Hi-Top

• View Profile
Hi Guys, this is my first post - AC Noob, I have read a few posts on this subject but there doesnt appear to be a fix at the moment?

I am using AC for the first time this week, and I think the admin area is superb, coming from WP I find AC much faster, sleeker and easier to use, however I am quite concerned about duplicate content affecting google rank.

Does anyone know of a fix to stop these pesky multiple URLs?

e.g: 

domain.com/product-name/
domain.com/product-category1/product-name/
domain.com/product category2/product-name/
domain.com/manufacturer/product-name/

I would prefer to have just one method of URL, possibly the first without category if possible.  Some of my products may have 4 sub categories.

I was just about to jump ship from WP until I noticed this, any help would be greatly appreciated for this AC noob.

AbanteCart Version 1.2.13

Offline Captain Hi-Top

• View Profile
Re: Multiple Canonical URLs to the same product via category manufacturer etc
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 04:19:08 AM »
I have checked google and this seems not to be an issue as I once thought.

"Duplicate content generally refers to substantive blocks of content within or across domains that either completely match other content or are appreciably similar. Mostly, this is not deceptive in origin. Examples of non-malicious duplicate content could include:

Discussion forums that can generate both regular and stripped-down pages targeted at mobile devices
    Store items shown or linked via multiple distinct URLs
    Printer-only versions of web pages

If your site contains multiple pages with largely identical content, there are a number of ways you can indicate your preferred URL to Google. (This is called "canonicalization".) More information about canonicalization."

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Canonical URLs to the same product via category manufacturer etc
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 06:33:17 AM »
When SEO url enabled in store all product pages have canonical tag included in page code so search engine can catch it