Author Topic: Blocking states within US  (Read 3922 times)

Offline barry819

• View Profile
Blocking states within US
« on: January 26, 2019, 05:37:02 PM »
Is it possible to block orders on a state by state basis within the US? Current sales tax nexus laws are a bloody mess. I want to accept orders only from those states that have joined the Streamlined Sales Tax system and adopted a threshold well above my anticipated sales. Do I delete the unwanted zones/states under localizations - locations -countries -USA?

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: Blocking states within US
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 04:20:27 PM »
Is it possible to block orders on a state by state basis within the US? Current sales tax nexus laws are a bloody mess. I want to accept orders only from those states that have joined the Streamlined Sales Tax system and adopted a threshold well above my anticipated sales. Do I delete the unwanted zones/states under localizations - locations -countries -USA?

There is no option to block, but you can remove states from the address zone. This will not allow customers to enter address with the states that you block. Might not be ideal solution.
There restriction can be added with the simple extension. Let us know if you are interested to contribute.

FYI, to lift the burden with cross state taxes, check Avatax integration. They still offer free trial for AbanteCart users.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline barry819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 04:56:58 PM »
I've looked at Avatax, and at Taxjar. They're both cost prohibitive at this time. If my sales ever spike to over half a million a year per state they might be options.

Right now the sales tax situation with the states is random and crazy, and they're writing new laws and then fining retroactively for noncompliance. The only sensible option is to block states until they get their **** sorted out.

So just to be clear: if I remove a state from the address zone, it is not possible to place an order with a shipping address in that state - or is it not possible to place an order with the credit card address in that state?

I'd be interested in a modification that would allow me to turn states on/off, like countries, instead of removing them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:09:40 PM by barry819 »

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 06:08:13 AM »
I'd be interested in a modification that would allow me to turn states on/off, like countries, instead of removing them.
Hello. The feature you ask is already available https://abantecart.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AD/pages/15761409/Zones