Author Topic: How to make data listing block for categories show subcategories?  (Read 2489 times)

Offline dharding

• View Profile
I've enabled a data listing block for categories to appear in the left column, but the problem is that it only shows the root (top level) categories, but I need it to show all subcategories as well.

Basically, my number of subcategories has grown to the point that only having them part of the dropdown menu can be cumbersome depending on the device/resolution you are using, so I want a persistent list of all categories and subcategories along the left side.

Basically the equivalent of the left column of the site map page.

Thanks.

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: How to make data listing block for categories show subcategories?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 09:42:06 AM »
I've enabled a data listing block for categories to appear in the left column, but the problem is that it only shows the root (top level) categories, but I need it to show all subcategories as well.

Basically, my number of subcategories has grown to the point that only having them part of the dropdown menu can be cumbersome depending on the device/resolution you are using, so I want a persistent list of all categories and subcategories along the left side.

Basically the equivalent of the left column of the site map page.

Thanks.

Hi.

I don't think you need listing block in this case. Listing block usually needs for custom lists.
If you want to show full category tree just use generic "category" block. Just add it via layout manager.
Also probably you should to make some change of public_html/storefront/view/default/template/blocks/category.tpl template.
You can copy some of html from category_top.tpl too.
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline dharding

• View Profile
Re: How to make data listing block for categories show subcategories?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 11:55:52 PM »
I tried using the standard category block in the left column, but it too only displays the root level categories, not the subcategories as well.