Author Topic: No shipping options available error  (Read 3725 times)

Offline pilgrim

• View Profile
No shipping options available error
« on: September 24, 2020, 05:56:12 PM »
After trying everything that was recommended on the other posts and having no success, i finally found the problem i think, but i don't know how to fix it
It is actually a USPS problem i believe, but i think i may have a work around, i just don't have the knowledge to know how to do it.
The problem is in the API request, and the USPS response to it. Even though i only have one service selected in the USPS extension settings, the API request is requesting "ALL" services. I don't know if this is a bug with the extension or some other problem. The response from the USPS is varied depending on the USPS postal zone. If the destination zone is different than the origin zone, then the post office returns the resulting quote for all services including the ONE service that i want, and everything works fine from there.
The problem is when the origin and destination zones are the same,  the API response does not include the quote for the ONE service i want, and so the error message "No shipping options available" error is displayed.
So instead of the API request using "ALL", can this be manually set to just the one service i need, by changing a file, or is there something else wrong that needs to be changed. The auto select option doesn't seem to make a difference whether it is on or off.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Re: No shipping options available error
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 09:53:08 PM »
What ONE service are you wanting to use?

What cart version are you using? 

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:54:51 PM by llegrand »

Offline pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 01:09:57 PM »
Retail ground(parcel select). AbanteCart cart is the latest version, i just checked for updates, says it is up to date.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 04:44:31 PM »
In looking at the USPS most current info  I find this:

USPS Retail Ground—LOR retail prices are only available for items mailed within the state of Alaska for pieces delivered to or from the eligible intra-Alaska ZIP Codes in DMM Exhibit 150.1.3.
    USPS Retail Ground—LOR retail prices are not available through online or commercial postage payment.
    For parcels that measure in combined length and girth more than 84 inches but not more than 108 inches, and the piece weighs less than 20 pounds, use the 20-pound price (balloon price) based on the applicable zone.
    For parcels that measure in combined length and girth more than 108 inches but not more than 130 inches, use the oversized price, regardless of weight, based on the applicable zone.

Are you shipping Alaska?  or what zip is causing your stated =  problem is when the origin and destination zones are the same

There is also this for non LOR
    Zones 1–4 are only for the mailing of hazardous materials, live animals, or other items required to be shipped by ground transportation (does not apply to oversized parcels).
    Parcels that exceed one cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches) are charged based on the actual weight or the dimensional weight, whichever is greater (as calculated in DMM 153.1.4).
    For parcels that measure in combined length and girth more than 108 inches but not more than 130 inches, use the oversized price, regardless of weight, based on the applicable zone.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 04:50:21 PM by llegrand »

Offline pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 07:14:38 PM »
It all worked fine until recently. This doesn't have anything to do with alaska. I'm on the west coast, and the API results will not show for retail ground on the west coast within my zone. This may not be the case if the API request would be for class id 4 retail ground only. <Postage CLASSID="4"><MailService>USPS Retail Ground</MailService>. The API request is for "ALL" -    <Service>ALL</Service>, even though i have only parcel post selected in the USPS extension.
I'm not sure this will fix it, but it might. I have a trouble ticket in with the USPS to see what they say, but the initial CS agent thought there was something wrong on the USPS end. The USPS rate server has always been touchy, slow and sometimes does not even work, and it has been that way for a long time, but this is something new. It just seems to me that the checkout process that sends the API to the USPS rate server should be requesting only the one service and not "ALL". If there is a way to force the checkout process to requesting the one service, i will do that, but i do not know how.
Anyway thank you for your help, i do not want to come off as ungrateful, because i am grateful for the help.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 07:44:53 PM »
You don't sound ungrateful,  no worries. 

We are WHY2 in the MarketPlace and we have several shipper extensions including  USPS enhanced -  so we always try to look into any shipping posts to see if there an issue we need to be aware of or if we can assist even on the default shippers.

The slowness you indicated is not something any of our users have reported nor do we see any thing we are testing  for updates etc. 

If you ONLY have one service enabled in your settings on the USPS extension,  that should be the only thing that is passed to the rate lookup.   We will do a little testing (might be a day or two)  and report our findings so we can help you isolate where the issue is.  If you find out anything from USPS  please share.

Lee

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 09:04:48 PM »
have you changed your settings within the USPS extension recently?

We find if we set the package dims within the settings page not the product page,  and turn on ONLY the Parcel Post,  we get a rate.

Note that the calculation will always be done on the settings size and not the products page.  Unless you only have one size of packaging  this may be a negative for you.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:36:22 PM by llegrand »

Offline pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 03:17:04 PM »
Only Parcel Post is selected on the extension settings.
Even IF the API request was for retail ground only it still would work, here's why: After doing some manual API requests, i have discovered that using retail ground only, returns this error: The requested Mail Service is only available when Ground Transportation is required, when the Zone is 5-9, or the mail piece is Oversized. which is why it is not included in the results when using ALL as the requested service.
HOWEVER
When using Parcel Select Ground as the single requested service, it does return results even with the origin and destination zip code being the same.
So the code within the AbanteCart Cart checkout or the USPS extension would have to be changed to request Parcel Select Ground, not retail ground or ALL as it is currently doing.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 08:56:22 PM »
Our questions for you are :
1.  Do you have a commercial account with USPS?
2.  Do you have actual dims set  in the settings page of the extension? 

We have inquired of our USPS support (since we also have an USPS extension that we maintain)   
here are our answers:

USPS Retail Ground service is a ground shipping for packages, thick envelopes, and tubes (with a maximum weight of 70 pounds) that are not required to be mailed at First-Class Mail service. Parcel Select is a ground delivery service type designed for large and medium sized shippers mailing 50 or more packages. For specific details, please refer to the Domestic Mailing Manual and USPS.com descriptions for details on Retail Ground service (https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/153.htm & https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-USPS-Retail-Ground-Service) and Parcel Select Ground service (https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/253.htm & https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Parcel-Select).

Parcel Select Ground service is only supported for commercial pricing and Retail Ground service is only supported for retail pricing. <Service> = “ONLINE” is supported on commercial pricing and <Service> = “ALL” is supported on retail pricing. Therefore, “ONLINE” returns Parcel Select Ground and “ALL” returns Retail Ground.

Here are our take conclusions:
1.  You need a commercial account  to use parcel select ground. 
2.  the API  requests using that latest RateV4 API require different service codes for the two services
“Parcel Select Ground” service is only available using code online
"Retail Ground” service is only available using code all
3.  Dims (dimensions of the package) are also necessary for the Retail ground to work. 

Offline pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 12:54:25 PM »
Yes i ship via Parcel Select Ground through a commercial mail service, Endicia.
Yes i have the dims set in the extension, but it doesn't matter.
Here is the answer i got back from the USPS today:
"Thank you for contacting Web Tools. Retail Ground service would be available when the zone is 5-9."
So Retail Ground is not available, for zones 4 and below, only Parcel Select Ground is. This is why the rate server will not return results for Retail Ground if the destination zip is more than 4 zones away from the origin zip.
Is there anyway to change that code from "ALL" to "ONLINE"?