Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Login Bug abantecart v1.6  (Read 8784 times)

Offline smallfish

• View Profile
Login Bug abantecart v1.6
« on: July 30, 2013, 06:32:21 AM »
I can't login by using email address at front-end. Abantecart accept login name only. (HTML5 template). Please check and fix it.
Thank you!

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: Login Bug abantecart v1.6
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »
settings->checkout-> require login name - >OFF
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline smallfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:01:47 AM »
settings->checkout-> require login name - >OFF
I follow your instruction and set the required login name to "off", but still can't login by email address.
Please check and fix it.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:10:45 AM »
What do you suggest we fix?

If you switch from login name to email name login setting, system does not automatically use email as login name. It will use what you have left in login name fields for customers. This is important to note. 
You can manage customers login fields in the admin.

Generally, it is recommended to use loginname based customer's authentication for better security.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline smallfish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
What do you suggest we fix?

If you switch from login name to email name login setting, system does not automatically use email as login name. It will use what you have left in login name fields for customers. This is important to note. 
You can manage customers login fields in the admin.

Generally, it is recommended to use loginname based customer's authentication for better security.

But abantecart v.1.6 display the message "Login Name or E-Mail Address:" on the login field. It is misleading that both login name and email address can be used to login. But abantecart v.1.5 only allow email address to login.
Besides, if I need to use thrid party login extension. (login with google or facebook). They only use email address to login. Right?

What is the new standard for abantecart v.1.6. (accept both login name and email address to login or just support login name only?)

Finally, it is clear that the email address can't be used to login abantecart v.1.6 except that if I create the user login name as email address.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:15:00 AM by smallfish »

Offline smallfish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »
I finally find out that if I disable the login by user name. Then the previous created accounts can't be login by email address. Only the new created accounts (after disable login by user name) can use email to login.
This is confusing.
So that I need to choose either accept user name or email address as login method when I setup the store and it shouldn't be changed later due to the above issue.

Suggestion : display the login text by checking the setting. Only display either login by user name or email address but not this text "Login Name or E-Mail Address:".
Besides, if I allow to login by user name, does the 3rd party login extension (login by google or facebook) is still function?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:31:55 AM by smallfish »

Offline bahcecim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 06:18:18 AM »
Problem (or BUG) is still active.

Is there any PATCH for this ???

Offline www.PiShop.co.za

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 09:53:05 AM »
I had the same problem... but its not a product (code) issue its a config (your specific installation) issue...

I suggest you disable the login name capability and then manually go through the clients (in the admin area) and remove the login names (or you could even do this in your actual database)