Author Topic: editing when using multiple languages  (Read 11718 times)

Online llegrand

• View Profile
editing when using multiple languages
« on: October 02, 2013, 05:19:16 PM »
I seem to be having difficulty getting the correct settings to get edits to work across selected languages or perhaps I don't understand what exactly the language translator works.

Do I have to edit everything in both languages?  Is there no translation that is done automatically?   English is my primary language and that is what I want on the site to be grammatically correct.  But if the language can use a translator for the Spanish, pulling from the originating English input is what I am looking for.

I have version 1.1.7 and am using the html5 default.  I installed the demo info, thinking it would be easier to edit while in the learning phase.   It has English and Espanol installed and that is what I would like for the final site.

In changing the categories -  I can get the English to edit correctly.   But I can't get it to change on the Spanish side.

I have Autotranslate Status:  and  Override if source language text was changed: both set to ON.
I have tried various combinations, but can't get it right.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: editing when using multiple languages
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:19:42 PM »
Default translation method is to copy default language text completely to all languages. This happens if you create new text or edit existing text for default language only. 
If you need to enable google translation (to do actual translation), you need to get Google Translate extension.

Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Online llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:08:02 PM »
Ok,  I found the language settings,  it looks like some things translate - others do not.

For instance,  I changed the Testimonials Block (on the footer of the html5 template) on the English -  to Events and changed the text. but when I switch to Spanish it is still Testimonials, but in Spanish.

On the Categories -  I changed one on the demo cart,  the English is presented on both languages?
I added some description in the category -  it shows up on the English home page,  it shows up in English on the Spanish Edit pages,  but doesn't show at all on the Home page when Spanish is selected. 

How to I get all those places to translate?  How do I get it to be consistent in where it translates?

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:49:42 AM »
Ok,  I found the language settings,  it looks like some things translate - others do not.

For instance,  I changed the Testimonials Block (on the footer of the html5 template) on the English -  to Events and changed the text. but when I switch to Spanish it is still Testimonials, but in Spanish.

On the Categories -  I changed one on the demo cart,  the English is presented on both languages?
I added some description in the category -  it shows up on the English home page,  it shows up in English on the Spanish Edit pages,  but doesn't show at all on the Home page when Spanish is selected. 

How to I get all those places to translate?  How do I get it to be consistent in where it translates?

is enabled this setting? 
Code: [Select]
Override if source language text was changed:
If set, text in all languages will be replaced with new translation if source language text is edited.

If you want to translate other languages from english language you have to edit english variant and setting must be:
- Text Translation Method: Google translate API v2
- Override if source language text was changed: ON

then if you switch to spanish and try to edit text your spanish variant will be saved. But if you switch back to english and edit english text then spanish variant will be rewritten by autotranslate extension (google translate).

If Override if source language text was changed is OFF rewrites of other languages will be disabled, but if spanish variant does not exists it'll be filled by google translate extension (first saving, i mean insert operation)
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Online llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 05:52:25 PM »
Ok  I've attached a screen shot of my settings:

Note - that there is nothing in Text Translation Box except 'Copy Source Language Text'

I tried editing
Home :: Languages :: Edit  Language - Español
I tried loading (button at the bottom)

I don't see where to get the Google API for Espanol,  it doesn't appear in the extensions store - so maybe directions to how to do that will solve the issue.

If I put something in fresh (not edited)  I get both English and Espanol,  but edit doesn't seem to function correctly.

I am missing something -  I just don't know what

Thanks for keeping at it.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 02:50:54 AM »
Ok  I've attached a screen shot of my settings:

Note - that there is nothing in Text Translation Box except 'Copy Source Language Text'

I tried editing
Home :: Languages :: Edit  Language - Español
I tried loading (button at the bottom)

I don't see where to get the Google API for Espanol,  it doesn't appear in the extensions store - so maybe directions to how to do that will solve the issue.
Hello.
1 - Google Api will appear only after you install "Google Translate API 2" extension. You can found it in Admin-Extensions-Extension Store ->Utilities section
http://marketplace.algozone.com/abantecart/utilities/

If I put something in fresh (not edited)  I get both English and Espanol,  but edit doesn't seem to function correctly.

I am missing something -  I just don't know what
2 - according to your settings in screenshot (Source language for translation: English / Override if source language text was changed: ON) when You edit product in English content language the multilanguage fields like 'Product name' and 'Product Description' will be copied to Espanol content. But If you editing product in Espanol changes  will be saved only in Espanol (Not copied to English content). It work in that way on my AbanteCart 1.1.7

Quote from: llegrand

Same for Testimonials block. If you have Override if source language text was changed: OFF - change block title in English did not modify Espanol.  Set Override if source language text was changed: to  ON - if you want automatically change Espanol when edit in English content

Online llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »
In regards to  "Google Translate API 2" extension, Google says it is only available as a paid service.  Important: Google Translate API v2 requires billing information for all accounts before you can start using the service. To sign up for billing, sign in to the Google APIs console and click the Billing tab.   Seems like that detail should be disclosed in the extensions description prior to purchasing.

There also seems to be a Google Website Translator which is free.  Is that what is installed in Abantecart currently?
If so,  why would one want or need to move to the paid service? 

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:09:45 AM »
In regards to  "Google Translate API 2" extension, Google says it is only available as a paid service.  Important: Google Translate API v2 requires billing information for all accounts before you can start using the service. To sign up for billing, sign in to the Google APIs console and click the Billing tab.   Seems like that detail should be disclosed in the extensions description prior to purchasing.

There also seems to be a Google Website Translator which is free.  Is that what is installed in Abantecart currently?
If so,  why would one want or need to move to the paid service?

Google website is free but Google API not free. Why? ask Google. Anyway there is no way to use automatically Google translate website.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »

First, let me start with saying that google API2 service is cheap. It will save business owners lots of time and money for manual translations.

Second, If you find free, reliable and automatic translation service that support JSON/XML, please let us know.  We will see if we can create extension for it.

Until than, we have no free option.

We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Online llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 11:06:39 AM »
Thank you for the information.   I would like to continue the conversation just a bit as I still have some confusion here.

First let me say,  I am not opposed to paying for the Google,  my concerns were more along the lines that the explanation on the extension doesn't tell one about that necessity.  And that until a couple of months ago Google API1 was a free service,  then they changed to API2 and made it only a paid service.   It's the concern with being tethered to Google services as they are prone to changing their way of offering services. 

Next,  there seems to be something that is installed with abantecart version 1.1.7  that does do translation if the settings are done correctly - setting them to on in the correct places.  It does function upon editing of a block.  So what is that?  How does it differ from the Google API2?

If one installs the Google,  how could one roll it back to what's initially included in abantecart?  It is just a matter of turning off the extension and changing the setting in Text Translation Method: back to the  Default method is a straight copy of source language text  on System > Settings?

Thank you for more details on this issue. 

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »
You can can control this as a setting and switch back and forth.

If you do not want to pay for google, you can look for alternative or translate manually.

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »
Lee - did you get this resolved on your site?  If so, which method did you use?  Putting this aside for the moment and will get back to it, for now just leaving English but will need to have at least 5 languages for the users of the most visited countries - this shop has been working for quite a few years now so my analytics and customer base are plentiful in other countries. 

This is a discussion that is really interesting but my head is too full to follow at the moment   :-[

Be well my friend
Ron
AbanteCart is one hell of a shopping cart.  Donate once in a while and keep the development plus support going.  --  That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

Online llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »
No Ron,  I've not done anything but work on developing the site to display the way I wish on the English side.

It is my intent once I've gotten that done,  to try the Google API translation.   I just wanted to be stabilized in the English before I added more potential variables to trace thru.

I will post here when i actually have worked out my solution.

Lee