Author Topic: Sending mail to customers shows as Unknown Sender  (Read 13837 times)

Offline JHammond53

• View Profile
Sending mail to customers shows as Unknown Sender
« on: November 14, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
I was testing out the Sales -> Mail portion of the site today and sent an email to my gmail account. The result showed an Unknown Sender. I sent the same email to my business email address and it showed everything up until the comma (the comma and everything after was gone).

I removed the comma from the store name and all is well now. I would like to have the comma, and may work tomorrow on code that will possibly allow the comma, but I wanted to check in to see if you guys had a fix for this first (or if its even possible).

Thanks,
James

Offline JHammond53

• View Profile
Re: Sending mail to customers shows as Unknown Sender
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »
So I haven't found a way to keep the comma. Can we possibly add a field for the emails to pull the name from? I don't want to change the store name to accommodate the emails because the change then shows on the Contact Us page. I would rather keep the store name the legally registered name of the company, and be able to have the emails show otherwise.

Offline junkyard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »

Offline JHammond53

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »
It is the Store Name. I removed the comma in the Store Name and all was good, it came through fine. Put the comma back and its unknown sender.

Offline junkyard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »
Yeah  it meant that your proposal could be implemented via the store owner name field  that currently isn't used anyways:
Can we possibly add a field for the emails to pull the name from? I don't want to change the store name to accommodate the emails because the change then shows on the Contact Us page. I would rather keep the store name the legally registered name of the company, and be able to have the emails show otherwise.

Offline JHammond53

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »
Oh ok, sorry I misunderstood what you meant. That'd be fine for me.

Offline JHammond53

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »
Ok so further testing has shown that the comma seems to be used as a separator in a way.  Lets say my store name is Company, Inc.

The email comes through as unknown sender, but the reply to shows this       reply-to:  "Inc." <info@email.com>

There has to be a way to pass this comma through. I have read ways to do it on a much easier email form setup however ours is much more complex so I hope you code gurus can come up with something  :D

Offline junkyard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
You did try escaping the comma with dashes like this  \,   did you?
- it works with Gmail headers but won't work as good with Yahoo's and likely some other mailers that still treat the comma as separator...
Afawk, the Outlook had a special feature that could be enabled to encode the comma in from: headers properly meaning in theory that should be possible.
The problem is, however, even if there was perfect way to escaping the comma, the cart would still place that Store Name altogether into a subject of most notifications and show the garbage with all the special characters out there in an unpleasant way...unless you go the hard way and replace the %s placeholder by fixed plain text wording in all the notification subjects via the system's localisation Languages Definitions... 
Implementing the Owner Name for the From:s of the cart could save a lot of hassle.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:59:27 PM by junkyard »

Offline JHammond53

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
I was basically trying to find a way to escape the comma in a non-intrusive way.

For my particular site, one of two things can happen. Either have the email pull from the Owner Name, or have the Contact Us page pull from Owner Name, whichever is easier to achieve.

EDIT: I just changed the Contact Us page to pull the Owner Name. This seemed to be the easiest option.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:31:57 PM by JHammond53 »

Offline junkyard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 02:08:41 PM »
Either have the email pull from the Owner Name

Try replacing the string
$mail->setSender($store_name);
 with
$mail->setSender($this->config->get('config_owner'));
 near the end of
admin/controller/pages/sale/customer.php 
(and / or any other php containing AMail for sending the corresponding notification types)

Offline JHammond53

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
Either have the email pull from the Owner Name

Try replacing the string
$mail->setSender($store_name);
 with
$mail->setSender($this->config->get('config_owner'));
 near the end of
admin/controller/pages/sale/customer.php 
(and / or any other php containing AMail for sending the corresponding notification types)

Thanks, but for my particular site it was easier changing just this one string of code in public_html  ->  storefront  ->  controller  ->  pages  ->  content -> contact.php

Line 75 replace:
$this->view->assign('store', $this->config->get('store_name'));
with:
$this->view->assign('store', $this->config->get('config_owner'));

This allows me to leave all email forms to reference store_name  and my Contact Us page will reference config_owner.

Offline JHammond53

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »
On a side note, has anyone brought up the possibility of having the newsletter emails go out from a separate email address, such as noreply@domain.com instead of the store's email address?

We don't want people being able to respond to our store's email address as this could clutter up our inbox if a lot of people decide to try and reply. I know you can set rules in outlook to filter incoming mail, but it'd be nice to have them go out of an email address that is unable to be replied to.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:33:47 PM by JHammond53 »