Author Topic: Royal Mail Extension fault  (Read 13411 times)

Offline montgo

• View Profile
Royal Mail Extension fault
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »
I have entered this post on three separate occasions over a reasonable period of time; once in General, once in Extensions and finally in the Github option for reporting possible bugs.  There has been no response to any of them.

It appears to me that there is a definite fault in the Royal Mail Extension under the circumstances I describe below that should be rectified and that would therefore be of  interest to Abantecart (assuming that you are the authors of the Extension).  So I am posting it again now in the hope that someone will pick up on it.

This is the github entry:

What steps will reproduce the problem?

The store is UK based with Royal Mail 1st Class Standard and International Airmail set as the only shipping options. Some other countries (mostly European) are selected for Airmail (understandably, UK is not listed as an available option in the country list) and all remaining countries are automatically selected for Airmail but at a different (higher) rate.

What is the expected output? What do you see instead?

The system works perfectly for all customers that are located outside UK. However, when a UK located customer checks out, they are presented with the 1st Class  Standard option (which is correct) but ALSO the "other countries" Airmail option which is clearly incorrect as the system should only offer 1st Class for domestic UK customers.

What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?

V 1.1.7 html5 on Win 7

Please provide any additional information below.

Re-installation did not change anything.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:19:43 PM by abantecart »

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: Royal Mail Extension fault - 3rd try!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »
.... but ALSO the "other countries" Airmail option which is clearly incorrect as the system should only offer 1st Class for domestic UK customers.
why it should? can you find some docs or tech guide or manual about this?
Also what royal mail support team answered regarding this?
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline montgo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
Thank you for your reply! This is what I am trying to find out  - who produced the extension? I assumed it was Abantecart, if not who did? How can I contact the authors?

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »
Thank you for your reply! This is what I am trying to find out  - who produced the extension? I assumed it was Abantecart, if not who did? How can I contact the authors?

what for? :) 
if you can show us proof that extension works incorrectly then we will fix it. np
― Charles Dickens

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
by the way..
did you read this topic?
http://forum.abantecart.com/index.php/topic,749.15.html
― Charles Dickens

Offline montgo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »
Hi, Yes I read that thread before posting but this is a different issue.

As I said in my first post, the extension works perfectly for every transaction from any country EXCEPT a UK customer. Those customers are presented with 2 shipping options (1st class standard and Airmail) on checkout when they should only be presented with 1 - ie, 1st class standard. Clearly Airmail is not an option that should be presented for a domestic customer.

Please go to http://www.airscale.co.uk/cart/ and go through a transaction as a UK based customer as far as shipping for proof.

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:41:02 AM »
i can see only result. but i can't to say what is a cause. I need more info - your settings, tax rates, locations and it's zones etc
― Charles Dickens

Offline montgo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 03:25:06 AM »
I attach screen shots of the settings for the Royal Mail Extension.

Please note that the store is located in UK and that Royal Mail is the only selected shipping option. Since surface mail (1st class standard) is the only option for domestic customers, UK is not listed in the list of countries for airmail.

The problem with the extension is that instead of being ignored for airmail, the UK is being incorrectly selected as an "Other country".

Offline montgo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »
I am quite sure that everyone in your team is very busy but it is now nearly 3 weeks since I sent the information you requested but sadly, without a reply or even an acknowledgement.

The problem still exists and it really should be rectified.

Also, there have been over 150 views of this post so there must surely be some UK store owners out there who are using Royal Mail. If so, please comment - are you experiencing the same problem or is it solely related to the settings I have made?  Either way, it would be useful to know . . .

Thanks.

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 03:50:18 AM »
I am quite sure that everyone in your team is very busy but it is now nearly 3 weeks since I sent the information you requested but sadly, without a reply or even an acknowledgement.

The problem still exists and it really should be rectified.

Also, there have been over 150 views of this post so there must surely be some UK store owners out there who are using Royal Mail. If so, please comment - are you experiencing the same problem or is it solely related to the settings I have made?  Either way, it would be useful to know . . .

Thanks.

i remember about issue, but i have no time for this right now.
i'll check it before release 1.1.8 anyway. be patient
― Charles Dickens

Offline montgo

• View Profile
Re: Royal Mail Extension fault
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 04:23:07 AM »
OK, thank you.

Offline jesus_automatic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
Montgo. Have you still got a problem with this? I have Royal Mail Extension working with very similar setup. Dont have the solution offhand but pm me if you still need help and I will check out my settings and get back to you

Offline jesus_automatic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 07:36:01 AM »
Sorry you are having such a problem with the RM extension. AC dont have much interest in supporting free extensions, though I did get them to update this one a while back to make the shipping rates editable. Unfortunately it still remains a blunt tool.

I had a very similar issue to you, but I cant remember exactly what the solution was. My memory isn't what it used to be.

Looking through your settings and comparing them to mine; the first idea that comes to mind is in Airmail settings, two boxes below the Airmail counties is a box marked 'Airmail Rates for Other Countries' Clear all data from that box. Its quite likely it is picking up the UK in that group and giving it the Airmail shipping option. If you dont ship outside europe then you dont need anything in there. If you do, then at least we know where the problem lies.

Let me know if that helps

Jesus

Offline montgo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »
Thanks for your input Jesus.  Removing the data from the "Other countries" certainly removes the inappropriate shipping option for UK customers and limits it to what it should be, ie, Royal Mail 1st class only. The problem is that shipping is required worldwide so it is not an option to leave out the "other countries" option.

Also, the UK is not listed in the "other countries" box so it cannot be "deselected" - which is logical since it is a UK store and Royal Mail 1st class is also selected.  That seems to be the crux of the problem, the system IS picking up UK as an "other country" when it shouldn't.

Maybe you have a different RM Extension version in which UK is a listed country in the "Other countries" box?  My version is 1.0.0.

Offline jesus_automatic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 05:36:27 PM »
The RM extension always shows as version 1.0.0 even after I know it was upgraded. If you are using AC 1.1.7 then it is the same as mine. It is posssible that it has been upgraded in 1.1.8 but I think someone would have pointed it out to you if that were the case.

I dont ship outside europe so I dont have your problem. But one more thing comes to mind worth checking. Have you checked all the settings in system-localization-countries and locations. I find that area of admin quite confusing but have a good look through and see if anything stands out as being weird.

Barring that and as I am not confident in editing the php, i can only suggest as a workaround using the section designated Airsure instead of Airmail. That has four different country selection categories so you wouldn't need to use the 'other countries' group. The whole extension has no functionality apart from applying the rates you set to the weight, for the option selected. So if you were to find the language key that displays Airsure on the front end and change it to Airmail. You may find the language definition from the search box or if not it will be in
extensions/default_royal_mail/storefront/language/english/default_royal_mail/default_royal_mail.xml

Assuming you don't already use Airsure as well?