Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Meta Tag SEO Tips and Tricks  (Read 49246 times)

gordontaylor

Meta Tag SEO Tips and Tricks
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »
Meta tags are descriptive information hidden within the head tags <head></head> on every webpage. Even though it is never displayed on a web browser, it is seen by the Search Engine bots when they visit your website, therefore it's an excellent way to gain some points in your SEO algorithm.

Within the Admin Panel there is a place to input the keywords and a meta description. Make sure you use these important inputs via the Admin Panel and put some thought into what you say in the description, but keep it to about 30 words, more will NOT be displayed in your search results.

When inputting your keywords, don't use more than 8 keywords. See this thread http://forum.abantecart.com/index.php/topic,1675.0.html for keywords in your page text.

There is much more you can do with the meta tags to increase your SEO rankings.

Add these attributes to your head section within the template:

You will notice I specifically address the Google bot separately and this seems to help. I have proven all of these techniques in the past. Many are old school, but old school still works!

You'll notice a line, "revisit-after" I found this to be particularly helpful, especially with new websites and those that don't change content often.

<META NAME="distribution" CONTENT="global" />
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="all, index, follow" />
<META NAME="revisit-after" content="10 days" />
<META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="INDEX, FOLLOW" />
<META NAME="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" CONTENT="TRUE" />

To access the head section, go into your cPanel (if you don't have an editor like Dreamweaver or FileZilla) and follow this path:

Storefront>View>default_html5>template>common>head.tpl
NOT HEADER.TPL

Edit the page using the editor button at the top of your cPanel or within your desktop editor and add those Meta Tags.

Next add these tags to your head section. It's SEO for facebook and it really helps not only with FB, but the other SE's see it and use it!

Change the website info to your website, and with the image, choose one that you wish to be displayed on Facebook.

<meta property="og:title" content="Wholesale Ostomy Supplies" />
<meta property="og:type" content="website" />
<meta property="og:url" content="http://wholesaleostomeysupplies.com/" />
<meta property="og:image" content="http://www.wholesaleostomysupplies.com/storefront/view/default_html5/image/hollisterlogo.png" />

Notice they contain a value called meta property. This will NOT validate if you insist on using a validator (mostly it's a customer request) If yo must validate your cart, then you can't use those tags as meta property is NOT valid HTML5 at this point.

I have experimented with these on identical websites and proven that they do help with rankings.

Remember, with Google content is king! They rank fresh content - given all else is equal with your website and the competition.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:54:29 AM by gordontaylor »

Offline GottaRun

• View Profile
    • GottaRun Webshop
Re: Meta Tag SEO Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:27:13 AM »
Bit of a rookie question here, but if using Google Analytics would you place the ID code in this meta tag description section of each page?

gordontaylor

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 02:04:45 PM »
Good question.

The answer is a big NO.

There is a specific place in the Admin script that will place your GA in the correct spot...at the bottom of the page! GA is a piece of java script.

The path in the Admin Panel  is System>Settings>General>scroll to the bottom of the page.

There is where you input your GA code. GA needs to be on every page in order to work properly.

Offline erictwendell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:48:35 AM »
That was a great post thanks. How about the keyword research. Can we make our website searched by few targeted keywords?. And where to add those keywords in the coding part?

gordontaylor

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »
Try Bing webmaster tools....they have a great keyword tool ... I like it better than googles.

Offline cbarg2004

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 02:08:31 AM »
Now it gets funnier if you want to have all those fields to be dynamic (or changing with every product). In my head.tpl, I have most of it figured out:

$href = 'http';
 if ($_SERVER["HTTPS"] == "on") {$href .= "s";}
 $href .= "://";
 if ($_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"] != "80") {
  $href .= $_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"].":".$_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"].$_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"];
 } else {
  $href .= $_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"].$_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"];
 }
 $url = parse_url($href);
 $query = array();
 parse_str($url['query'], $query);

$url = " external link ?rt=product/product&product_id=".$query['product_id'];

echo '<meta property="og:title" content="'.$title.'" />';
echo '<meta property="og:type" content="ecommerce" />';
echo '<meta property="og:description" content="'.$description.'" />';
echo '<meta property="og:url" content="'.$url.'" />';

However, I have some issues trying to get the < meta property=og:image content=$img_url />

I can see it in product.tpl, but I'm not able to reach it from head.tpl. No variable seems to work for the image url :-/

Any clue about how to get it??

gordontaylor

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:58:59 AM »
The image you're looking for is in resources, use the direct HTML link, as in my example above, not the php call.

Offline cbarg2004

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »
You are correct, and I understand the image I am looking for is in resources. However, that image, as per the example, will always be the same (logo of your company, for example). What I want to achieve here is to add the individual product image (eg: wholesaleostomysuppliescom/resources/image/18/90/8.jpg).
I believe I will dig deeper to get to the complicated DB, if not, I will open a pop up window and javascript everything. I thought I could name the pictures with the product name, but I don't believe that would work since the 'name' of the resource is NOT the name of the picture uploaded :-(

gordontaylor

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »
Correct! The script renames the images and stores them in resourses, if you use their uploader. I create my own image file and FTP to that, then call the image from there.

Offline josephnwy

• View Profile
    • Bunny.my
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 06:05:43 AM »
Hi, i use the bing web tools, but i submit the site map url the status was mention "download site map and feeds was empty"...

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 06:33:12 AM »
Hi, i use the bing web tools, but i submit the site map url the status was mention "download site map and feeds was empty"...

Hello. Please read this topic

Offline kelbel3abh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »
Just wanted to mention that I found through my post that there is a free extension for share this, which adds the meta og:image, etc. tags to the head.  Thanks to user, llegrand.  Hope this helps someone.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:40:21 PM by kelbel3abh »

Offline morrisr

• Simple is good
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Elegant
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 01:53:38 AM »
We need some sort of test to see if the page is product then, insert FB opengraph product meta in the header;
The product meta og tags typically are:

<meta property="og:type" content="product" />
<meta property="og:url" content="url to product page" />
<meta property="og:site_name" content="My web site name" />
<meta property="og:title" content="My product name" />
<meta property="og:image" content="image url" />
<meta property="og:image" content="image 2 url" />
<meta property="og:image" content="image 3 url" />
<meta property="og:price:amount" content="9,999.00" />
<meta property="og:price:currency" content="USD" />
<meta property="og:description" content="This is a great product" />

Can anybody help with inserting meta data in the header and yet access product info?
Thanks

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 05:51:58 AM »
Hi.

in Marketplace there is 3rd party extension http://marketplace.abantecart.com/facebook_meta_tags

Offline BryanWalters

• View Profile
    • eUKhost Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 07:29:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing the tips for optimizing meta tags.
No Matter How Great is Your Ecommerce Store, If It Faces Down Time!
Get The Managed WebHosting Solution Now
https://www.eukhost.com/