support

Author Topic: Estimate - Please Select  (Read 5538 times)

Offline otterslide

• View Profile
Estimate - Please Select
« on: November 01, 2014, 01:17:45 PM »
Hello,

When I check out, the Estimate auto-selects the country/region of the local shopping cart's address.
Is there any way to make it show "Please Select" instead ?

I tried adding a country called "Please Select" but then at final checkout it has double Please Select..

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Re: Estimate - Please Select
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »
To the best of my knowledge and testing does use what you've setup as the default locale. 

The issue I have encountered with a lot of site visitors is they don't understand what they need to do to get the estimate to work.  So I changed the instruction that shows up in the box right above the area  to say:

Estimate Shipping & Taxes - If shipping: input zip code and enter. Look in drop down box and make your selection.

We have offer store pickup, so the If shipping is appropriate for us - See if something like that will work for you.

Lee

Offline otterslide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »
Thanks, I'll do that too.. Yes it's not very user friendly, especially by having the wrong options pre-selected for you.. Doesn't really make sense to do that at all.

To the best of my knowledge and testing does use what you've setup as the default locale. 

The issue I have encountered with a lot of site visitors is they don't understand what they need to do to get the estimate to work.  So I changed the instruction that shows up in the box right above the area  to say:

Estimate Shipping & Taxes - If shipping: input zip code and enter. Look in drop down box and make your selection.

We have offer store pickup, so the If shipping is appropriate for us - See if something like that will work for you.

Lee

Offline otterslide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
In Cart.php line 325

\storefront\controller\pages\checkout\cart.php

you can set country_id to -1
      //try to get shipping address details if we have them
         $country_id = -1;

and in
\storefront\view\default_html5\template\form\countries_zones.tpl

you can add Select country

<option value="">--- Please Select A Country ---</option>

<?php foreach ( $options as $v => $text ) { ?>

this has achieved the result I wanted.

There's still the issue that once you navigate away and come back, it doesn't save what you previously entered..
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:44:45 PM by otterslide »

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 12:22:46 AM »
Glad you found a solution to your issue.  And thanks for sharing it.

I would add that how the country/region is shown with or without store default is subjective based on the type of customer base a store serves and would be best decided on by the store owner as to use the default location as a customer service if one's base is more local or opted for blank if wider based.

As to the persistency ,  it would indeed be nice if the field persisted thru continued shopping etc rather than reverting to the defaulted.   Perhaps in the next version admins will adjust that.