Author Topic: Page with Latest Products  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Ollie

• View Profile
    • Assistech
Page with Latest Products
« on: October 04, 2015, 07:43:45 AM »
Is it possible to create  create a page showing the latest items? I added a new icon under Design > Menu. Now I want to create a page for those items. When visitors click on this icon, it will take them to that page.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:12:44 PM by Ollie »
Assistive technologies for people with special needs:
https://assistech.com/store/

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
Re: Page with Latest Products
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 07:05:17 PM »
A way to do this would be to just create a category for "New Items" and add all the items you want into that category as well.  It will automatically show up in the top menu and if you click on it, will pull all the items also flagged as a new item...

Offline Ollie

• View Profile
    • Assistech
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:13:12 PM »
A way to do this would be to just create a category for "New Items" and add all the items you want into that category as well.  It will automatically show up in the top menu and if you click on it, will pull all the items also flagged as a new item...
Thank you, but that's not the solution I'm looking for. I need the page to be dynamically generated, based on the latest products.

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 12:20:56 AM »
Maybe the devs can chime in, but if you can put the default "latest" item block into a link, that should work since it pulls from the most recently added items from the sytem...

Offline Ollie

• View Profile
    • Assistech
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 08:19:34 PM »
Maybe the devs can chime in, but if you can put the default "latest" item block into a link, that should work since it pulls from the most recently added items from the sytem...

I'm not really looking for a link to the Latest products, either. I'd like to be able to have a new page dynamically generated with the latest products, in which I can set the number of items to be viewed. Right now, I have the Latest block set to 8 items. I'd like the page to show a total of 40 items. I'm hoping someone with a similar experience will tell me how they did it. Thanks for trying.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 11:54:41 PM »
Hey Ollie,  I tested this idea on a 1.2.3 version,  but think at least most of it will work on earlier verisons -  I think you're using 1.2.0

Here's what i came up with (no coding needed!)  on Design > Content -  add a page for Latest (or whatever you want to call it)
It does add it in the footer area.  Once you have the page saved go to the LAYOUT tab on the new content page. Arrange it however you wish.   But in the middle area probably above or below the Content  -  add the Latest block (it is in the html list already),  enable the block.

You should disable the Latest block on the home page if you are using it currently)

Then go to the System> Settings > General and set the number of items for Latest to what you want  (I tested 40 and it worked well)

You can also add it to the top menu if you like with a link to the page.  Or of a notification link to the page where ever you wanted it.

Additionally you can make a new category - and there is a layout option on the category page and you could enable the latest block there also.

So that's 3 different ways to do it.

If you need more clarity -  give a shout back.

Lee

Offline Ollie

• View Profile
    • Assistech
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 12:21:30 AM »
Thank you, Lee. I did understand the three options you have suggested. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons of each one before I make up my mind. I'd like to list a few new products on the home page and have another page with about 40 items. I may need to have an extension created for this purpose. We'll see. :-)

Offline chrisoft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »
so how you manage on home page to have 8 products and on the link to have 40 ?

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.