Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Cancel an order  (Read 11651 times)

Offline helperbee

• View Profile
Cancel an order
« on: September 21, 2015, 01:23:39 PM »
How does a customer cancel an order from UI? I am unable to trigger that functionality.

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
Re: Cancel an order
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 03:38:59 PM »
This is a good question and should be setup as a future feature...

I don't think this option is available currently...You can do it as an admin (cancel the order and it will disappear from the customer's screen), but probably a request to cancel button should be setup on the customer end.

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 08:01:26 AM »
Good feature to consider.
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:18:42 AM »
IMO -  this should have several considerations if it is added.   It nneds take into consideration the status of an order before it is allowed to be cancelled, This would necessitate the admin actually updating status of an order through the process.

Or perhaps send a cancellation request to admin for proper approval. 

Care needs to be taken so that a customer doesn't cancel an already prepared (in case of customization)  or shipped product. 

And not automating the credit back to customer for a cancelled order,  but needing the admin to process it manually, would be preferable IMO.

Lee

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 12:07:11 PM »
IMO -  this should have several considerations if it is added.   It nneds take into consideration the status of an order before it is allowed to be cancelled, This would necessitate the admin actually updating status of an order through the process.

Or perhaps send a cancellation request to admin for proper approval. 

Care needs to be taken so that a customer doesn't cancel an already prepared (in case of customization)  or shipped product. 

And not automating the credit back to customer for a cancelled order,  but needing the admin to process it manually, would be preferable IMO.

Lee

Agree with all above...

1) Should be a request to cancel...
2) Would be nice to update quantities if successful to put the items back in stock (+qty)
3) Processing refunds should be manual IMO (and safer to allow quicker implementation)

Offline helperbee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 03:43:23 PM »
I'll submit it as future feature request.

For now, since we launch next month, how do I add the button to storefront to enable customer to request a cancelation?
We don't ship, nor are we letting AB track stock. Our policies already state that they need to cancel before picking up order. So for us, it's pretty straight forward, they need to contact us about a cancellation before a certain date.

How can I get help with adding the button as you suggested?

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »
You'd need to do custom code/html depending on however you want to code it and how you want it to look...I don't have specifics since I don't honestly know.  I'd google general html coding links and copy those and put it in a new html block within abantecart and various pages as needed.

We'll probably just put it in our FAQ page and leave it at that.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 05:52:23 PM »
helperbee -  in your situation -  try taking a look at the forms manager -  it seems to me that you could use a form to add the necessary fields for the information you need.

Then you could place the block with the form in it anywhere within your site.   You can add that info to the footer portion of your invoice that your customer gets -  it can have a link to your form also. 

Your customer would have to input the info -  order number,  name,  etc.  but that would keep you out of custom coding for now.

Lee

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 12:16:17 AM »
Cool, I didn't know there was such a thing. :)  Looking at it briefly, I think I'd probably opt for custom html code myself though. :)

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 09:18:48 AM »
always happy to add to your knowledge base WebDev, 8)

so many users don't have the ability to do much in the code side.  And I try very hard to use the functions within the core product if at all possible,  as it makes updating easier.   As changing the coding often means a re-do when a new version comes out (seems like every 2-3 months).

Cheers everyone!
Lee

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 10:53:17 AM »
Very true...I try to keep it all stock if I can.  One thing I'd like to probably get to adding is a quick survey after someone purchases something (experience/speed/ease of use, etc) and another simple survey linking back after a package is delivered.

If you have quick links for some of those, would be greatly appreciated...

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »
Well here's easy and quick way from the snacktool folks http://www.snacktools.com/

they have free versions of everything  as well as paid versions.  towards the end of the year they have some killer specials for the paid versions.   I've used them for years for popup notifications on pages,  flip books for product promotions - like Christmas catalogs etc.   

Here's the direct link for the polls, give it a try and see if it might work for you.

http://www.pollsnack.com/

Lee

Offline helperbee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 01:23:16 PM »
Thank you, Lee. I'll do as you suggest. I appreciate the non-coding solution as I'm not a coder (good guess on your part)!  I just may still launch on time and look good. Thanks ever so much!

Offline abscenter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 11:17:57 PM »
helperbee -  in your situation -  try taking a look at the forms manager -  it seems to me that you could use a form to add the necessary fields for the information you need.

Then you could place the block with the form in it anywhere within your site.   You can add that info to the footer portion of your invoice that your customer gets -  it can have a link to your form also. 

Your customer would have to input the info -  order number,  name,  etc.  but that would keep you out of custom coding for now.

Lee

How do we add block to invoice? Thanks

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 11:39:44 PM »
For clarity here -  I wasn't suggesting adding a block to the invoice as i believe that would take some coding to accomplish.   But you can change the message that appears in the footer area of the invoice -with a simple message like "need to cancel your order,  click here"   and use the url to the location where the cancellation form is located.