General Topics > News and Announcements

AbanteCart forum migration proposal!

<< < (3/5) > >>

abantecart:
Let me add something.

People find irritating to register on the forum and they go straight for social media with questions. They post questions on Facebook, YouTube, twitter. We can not and will not reply to same questions on multiple places.

We tried to add social media login to the forum, but there were some issues.

Maintaining forum software is also a challenge especially, when we will get to larger audience and traffic. Installing plugins, updates, security, bots, etc. All pain for small team. This takes us away from focusing on a software. 

Gordon Taylor:
Pavel,

I will support what ever move you decide to make, you know my fondness for AC. Before social media, forums WERE the social media and now it's so easy to register for the new ones, people get lazy when it comes to filling out the registration here.

Again, what ever the decision is, we'll support you all the way.

abantecart:

--- Quote from: Gordon Taylor on October 12, 2016, 11:28:23 AM ---Pavel,

I will support what ever move you decide to make, you know my fondness for AC. Before social media, forums WERE the social media and now it's so easy to register for the new ones, people get lazy when it comes to filling out the registration here.

Again, what ever the decision is, we'll support you all the way.

--- End quote ---
Thank you Gordon,

There is no final decision yet. Let's explore a little more

digitalt:
If you decide to go to Google+, I'll be there with you. I think a look at the Social Icon addon for SMF forums might sway your final decision. It actually supports about 30 or so different social platform logins thru  Oneall. It would solve the registration problem for those that don't want to fill in the form and possibly give wider coverage for those that would not want to sign up for Google+.

Whatever your decision, I'm with ya.

llegrand:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_products#Discontinued_products_and_services

Here's one of my biggest concerns with Google -  take a look at all of the things they have started and discontinued over the last 10 years.  And as of 2015  Google + was struggling some what -  lots of accounts (as all email accounts got one)  but they struggle to be popular it seems  .http://www.businessinsider.com/big-changes-coming-to-google--2015-5

So in addition to not owning the content,  we are subject to the whims of Google and what they want to promote next.

Just my 3 cents worth (inflation,  not a typo) ;)

Lee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version