Author Topic: Guest Account  (Read 11412 times)

Offline tosalet

• View Profile
Guest Account
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:28:31 AM »
I seem to have managed to lose the Guest Account option on the login page somehow even though the Guest Account option is selected in Systems checkout settings?

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: Guest Account
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »
Did you do any edits?
NOTE: If you try to access customer area, there will be no Guest Account option.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline tosalet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »
I have certainly done some editing but as far as I recall only language definitions, header/footer templates and the stylesheet.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by the customer area?

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:34:49 AM »
Customer area is a customer account pages. These are pages to access account information, order and change details. If you try to access these pages directly, you will see log in or register page and no Guest Account option.
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline tosalet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »
I presume you are referring to the customer area in the admin pages. Even when logged out of admin, the store login page does not display the guest account option.

The only other editing I have done was to modify the storefront/controller/pages/account/create.php and the storefront/model/account/customer.php files at your suggestion to remove the requirement for a customer to include a telephone number.

I have also tried replacing these files with the originals but with no effect on the login page.

Offline Nimitz1061

• No matter where you go, there you are...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »
He is referring to customer account areas in the catalog.

You will see the register, guest checkout and login options on the login page when trying to reach the checkout.

You will only see the register and login options when trying to reach customer account specific pages like My Account.

Example: 
Code: [Select]
https://www.exampledomain.com/index.php?rt=account/account  will show the page with only two options.

while 
Code: [Select]
https://www.bathsafetyfirst.com/index.php?rt=checkout/shipping will show all three, provided that you have a product in your basket.

David

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:35:57 PM by Nimitz1061 »

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:11:14 PM »
Thank you David for clarification.

Offline tosalet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 03:07:58 AM »
At last the penny has dropped! I didn't realise that it required an item in the cart.  Obvious really, sorry for wasting your time - and thanks.

Offline tosalet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:32:28 AM »
Thinking further on this, I would still prefer to have the guest option available without the customer having to place an item in the cart. Is it possible to provide that?

Offline Nimitz1061

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 08:54:08 AM »
I would say it is pointless to do so.

Unless a visitor is checking out or logging in, there is no point to differentiating between them and any other visitor.  More importantly, there is no logical basis on which to do so.

IP?  Nope.  Some IP addresses are shared.

Cookie?  Well, already holds session for visitors and registered clients alike.  Could hold a flag to do so, but again, whats the point?  Are you suggesting that the cart should present a query as to whether someone wants to be a guest or not and flag the cookie in response?  Why?  The fact that they are there and viewing pages, makes them your guest.

David

Offline tosalet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »
Thank you, but my point is that many people dislike opening accounts at all - they just want to buy something.

I can see no reason to deny them that option, without having to place something in the cart, since it exists anyway but is simply not displayed.

But if it is too difficult to achieve; then so be it.

Offline Nimitz1061

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 09:43:03 AM »
I understand your point.

Do you understand that there is NO WAY to tell the difference between those who do want and account and those who don't before they take some action to communicate their decision?

Do you understand that the decision is pointless if the cart is empty?

If you are concerned about the use of the word account, change it using the language management system.  There is no point to any code changes.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:46:15 AM by Nimitz1061 »

Offline tosalet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 06:31:07 AM »
Thank you, but actually you are missing the point. Never mind, I will find a different solution.