Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Tax exempt customer  (Read 6849 times)

Offline pleinair

• View Profile
Tax exempt customer
« on: November 28, 2015, 01:24:50 AM »
We would like to give a zero tax percent for tax exempt customers but can't figure out how to indicate that a certain customer should not have tax calculated for them.  How can we have two types of customers - taxable and tax exempt - so that we do not calculate tax to a tax exempt customer?

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: Tax exempt customer
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 04:18:22 AM »
tax exemption based on customer address.
You should to assign tax rates (taxes) to locations.
When customer set shipping address Abantecart takes needed taxes for his country and zone.
see details on our doc-site http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/quickstart/setup_taxes.html
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »
Are you asking about tax exempt by location  or by tax status regardless of location?

Abolabo is answering by location.

Here's my suggestions if you are asking about tax exempt customers  - with a tax exemption certificate
1.  You can use customer groups to manage this.  When account is first registered they will go to main group,  upon satisfactory completion of what ever you require for the tax exemption (usually a copy of the certificate) you can then assign them to Tax-Exempt or what ever you name your group.
See docs for info:
http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/customers/groups.html

2.  Other choice is to run multi-store -  one for regular customers,  one for tax-exempt

Option 1 is probably easier.

Lee

Offline pleinair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »
Thank you for the response abolabo but we are looking for how to do this for only particular customers regardless of location.

Thank you llegrand also.  We have groups set up already.  I just don't know how to designate a certain group to be tax exempt.  I couldn't find a flag that would do it or a place where I could add something special for that group to say that it should be exempt from taxes.

I thought of the second store solution but I'm thinking something like this should not have to be that complicated.  All kinds of entities are tax exempt - schools, non-profits, etc - I'm surprised there isn't a flag that I can set somewhere for a customer to say they are exempt.

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 04:01:42 PM »
mm.. i see solution only in development of custom extension that will be regulate tax-exempt based on customer groups.
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline scottp119

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:30:30 PM »
I second this request. Almost all of our customers are going to be Tax Exempt with a few Taxable. Please add this function.

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 06:00:45 PM »
I second this request. Almost all of our customers are going to be Tax Exempt with a few Taxable. Please add this function.
What function are you looking to have? Tax exempt customer status? How will it work in connection to taxes? Should it ignore all the taxes or set regions?
Should this be controlled in connection the customer group?

I want to make sure this feature is needed for large user based and covers most of the cases. So far this sounds like a custom specific case.

“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 06:39:58 AM »
Other carts like opncart allow you to assign Tax Rate for the Customer Group
but in magento you can do this for Tax Class only. In opposite Cscart allow to Exempting from taxes each customer account manually

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 10:32:11 PM »
Tax rate exemption was implemented

https://github.com/abantecart/abantecart-src/commit/ba83c4225cc5d0e881a6bc6fd38cf226cc9d837c

It is still in final testing and will be included into 1.2.6 in 2 weeks.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.