Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Importing Error "Data is empty or corrupted."  (Read 9894 times)

Offline quenncy

• View Profile
Importing Error "Data is empty or corrupted."
« on: November 11, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
Hello All,  ;D

I am still having a bit of trouble if someone could possibly help out on the issue it would be greatly appreciated.
I have freshly installed ver. 1.1.1 on my server and all works very well now except every time I attempt  to upload (import) categories or resource_library CSV or XML file I keep getting error "Data is empty or corrupted."  I have corrected the typo error in ver 1.1.1 (/admin/model/tool/table_relationships.php) on lines 35,36,37 and all is well there too. I have used a example by downloading (export) a categories CSV and then merely adding a ACTION on the first column using DELETE on every row then uploading (import) it right back but still continue to get the same error. I double check my categories and nothing has been changed.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly depreciated,
Quenncy  :)

Offline quenncy

• View Profile
Re: Importing Error "Data is empty or corrupted."
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 12:47:15 AM »
Just checking in to see if anyone can add some input on the error in subject. :P

Thanks so much  ;),
Quenncy

Offline andrew.mikhailyk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
Hello.

Please give me examples of CSV files with data you try to import.

Thank you.

Offline quenncy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »
Hello.

Please give me examples of CSV files with data you try to import.

Thank you.

I am assuming that you are talking about image attachments when you ask "Give Me Example"?  Here is one example of "Products" CSV that I downloaded from the system then add a new fist column with "Action" and "Delete" in every row then uploading it back still continuing to receive the error "Data is empty or corrupted."  The products listed are examples installed from AbanteCart installation that I wanted to remove. I have tried this upload both in CSV & XML but nothing has worked.  I am using Office (Excel) 2007 if that helps out any. 
  Any help would be greatly appreciated to identify this problem.  :D

Thanks,
Quenncy
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:57:33 AM by quenncy »

Offline Nimitz1061

• No matter where you go, there you are...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 01:58:12 PM »
Some general guidance:

1. When dealing with import file issues, the best example to offer is a sample of the file itself.  This should be archived if possible, to prevent any inadvertent modification of the file contents.

2. Data on the source of the file should include the application used to generate the content and the export method and settings used to output the file.

In general, my experience has been that CSV outputs from Excel are problematic, in that the content may be escaped in unexpected ways that cause the parsing code to lose synchronization with the field contents (ie "it gets confused").  Once this happens its rather hard to get more specific than "data is empty or corrupted".   This can often be worked around by using a tab delimited format - which seems to have fewer problems.  Your mileage may vary on this - there are a lot of environmental variables involved..

David

Offline keanu_reeves

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 09:53:57 AM »
Hello.

Temporary solution is to import in Internet Explorer browser.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 11:38:22 AM by Basara »

Offline Advisor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:42:31 PM »
Some general guidance:

1. When dealing with import file issues, the best example to offer is a sample of the file itself.  This should be archived if possible, to prevent any inadvertent modification of the file contents.

2. Data on the source of the file should include the application used to generate the content and the export method and settings used to output the file.

In general, my experience has been that CSV outputs from Excel are problematic, in that the content may be escaped in unexpected ways that cause the parsing code to lose synchronization with the field contents (ie "it gets confused").  Once this happens its rather hard to get more specific than "data is empty or corrupted".   This can often be worked around by using a tab delimited format - which seems to have fewer problems.  Your mileage may vary on this - there are a lot of environmental variables involved..

David

You could "repair" your CSV file with this handy piece of freeware : http://csved.sjfrancke.nl