Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Order status and their meanings  (Read 8614 times)

Offline hb007006

• View Profile
Order status and their meanings
« on: November 26, 2016, 09:01:39 AM »
Can you please help me to understand below order statuses and their meaning? In which situtaion, these order statues will get used? Request you if you can provide an exmple for each one of below

1. canceled_reversal
2. chargeback
3. failed
4. incomplete
5. reversed

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Order status and their meanings
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 04:17:08 AM »
Hello.

Incomplete order status is assigned for the orders where customers start checkout process but never complete. You can see this orders in admin to analyze customers behavior or catch some issue with checkout.
Other statuses are more related to the demo data. Say you can set up some of your payment method to set Failed status in case of payment declined by bank. Take a note you can add your own statuses or rename current.

Offline hb007006

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 10:46:46 AM »
Thank you!

Request you if you can also explain little bit about

1. canceled_reversal
2. chargeback
3. reversed
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:15:46 AM by hb007006 »

Offline hb007006

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 09:47:58 AM »
Is merchant supposed to send email and sms notifications in case of below order statues

1. chargeback
2. reversed
3. canceled_reversal

Please reply

Offline hb007006

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 09:27:57 AM »
Can I expect a reply on this?

Is merchant supposed to send email and sms notifications in case of below order statues

1. chargeback
2. reversed
3. canceled_reversal

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 02:08:14 PM »
The Cart has a populated list that provides some of the most common terms store owners may choose to use in their operation.
Admins can change the desciprtion  and can add more terms if their store desires them.  See the docs for how.

http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/localization/statuses/order_status_list.html

Which terms you wish to use, and how you wish to communicate with your customers when an action is changed is a manual process.  The Admin should define their particular operational practices and use the status as it is defined.   

Think of the list in the same manner as all the countries are available to use,  but most Admins do not use them all.  It is a convenience list,  how you choose to use it is an individual choice.  The Incomplete is assigned by the cart.   And some of the payment processes maybe able to activate some refund status (most do not)

Offline hb007006

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 10:39:21 PM »
This link http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/localization/statuses/order_status_list.html doesn't explain the meaning of order statuses.

Ok let me ask this way

Suppose I would like to use below statuses as a Merchant. Am I supposed to send email and sms notifications to customers in case of below order statuses

1. chargeback
2. reversed
3. canceled_reversal
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:43:40 PM by hb007006 »

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 01:07:23 PM »
Let me try and be clear -  the link explains how you can add different status notification.

But you as the Admin of the store  need to determine how to run your business.   Which one of the notification tags mean something within your operation.   And rather you send notification to your customers when a status changes is again determined by how you run your business.   

Here's and example of something one of my clients needed for added clarity to her customers -  the Authorize net payment automatically sent a notification to customer upon card process activity -  but the notification  indicated Pending - as it pulls from the default of the system settings -  This pending from the CC processor was confusing to her customers.   We added a notification tag  -  Processing,  and change the system settings default to the new notification tag.   Now she knows looking at an order that the order is new,  and her customers no longer worry that the CC didn't pay.

These notifications and how they are used are for the store admin to determine which to use.  Continuing to ask the same questions regarding how to define your store operation is beyond the scope of the cart IMO.   The cart questions should be about how the functions and features of the cart are designed to work.  In the same way you decide which shipper(s), or payment process to use,  you need to decide which notifications tags to use and how.

Just define the notifications meanings within your operation -  and then use them in that matter.   This is not a cart function -  this is an operational function.   Chargeback and Reversal  usually mean the same thing -  but different locations use one or the other. 

Offline hb007006

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:37:33 PM »
Ok...

Can you please explain little bit about below statuses?

1. canceled_reversal
2. chargeback
3. reversed

Offline featurespoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 09:03:50 PM »
Perhaps I could add a few words. When I first saw these statuses I expected to find buttons in the Admin area to change a status, say from Processing to Complete.  But no, it is much more open than that. Depending on how your business is going to handle orders you can use whatever statuses you need and ignore the rest. I may be worth pointing out that payment extensions are usually required to say what the order status is after payment. You can set it to whatever you like, although I find 'processing' is probably best - except for 'Click and Collect' or 'Pickup from Store' where the customer only pays when he/she goes to the store. So I added two new order statuses 'Click and Collect' and 'Available' to deal with the store processing of the order - but they have to be set by someone responsible in the 'Payments and Comments tab.  The ability to easily send a message to the customer that their order is ready to be picked up from the store is great.  If you don't understand what some statuses are for, ignore them. You don't need them.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
Careful with just renaming statuses. Changing meaning, does not change functionality. Some statuses are closely tide up with system functionality.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline hb007006

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »
Thank you for the information. I will take care

Offline kavlito

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 07:38:33 PM »
Careful with just renaming statuses. Changing meaning, does not change functionality. Some statuses are closely tide up with system functionality.

This is what I came here to find out. Can someone please explain which statuses are tied to system functionality with details?

Thanks.

Offline kavlito

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 01:10:28 PM »

This is what I came here to find out. Can someone please explain which statuses are tied to system functionality with details?

Thanks.

Anyone???

Is there any documentation that details which statuses are tied to system functionality, and which ones are freeform?

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 02:00:52 AM »
Hello.

All order statuses installed by default can be used in other extensions. Most critical are, Incompleted, Completed, Shipped, Pending, Cancelled, Refunded, Processing, Cancelled by Customer