Shopping Cart Operations > Tips and Tricks

How to use a test site?

(1/4) > >>

bppe:
Hi guyz!

I was wondering, since I want to upgrade the core system files, what is the best way to create a test site?

I created a live site and I am working with only that. I make backups every day I edit something, and I also backup the files from the "import-export" section, just in case.

I tried to simply create a subdomain names "test.mysite.com" and clone my site on it. At first, it worked, but as soon as I installed the update, I got an error message (Not acceptable 406 + index.php). I asked my hosting provider to disable the mod_security yesterday and it works for my main site, but not for the sub-site for testing. I am asking them now to check that.

So, that being said, once the test site is installed, how do you use it?
You make all your changes in the test site, then clone it to the live site? Or backup the files and export them on the live site with the import-export menu? Or do you use fpt for that?

Does the testing site has to be ssl?

I just want to be sure to use AbanteCart at its best and to have a great website for my customers... I have spent countless hours working on my first site, just to lose it all in a hosting failure and without backups, I want to be sure that never happens again!

Thanks for the infos!!

llegrand:
do you have CPanel with Softaculous?  If yes,  I will provide you some helpful/easy ways to accomplish your test site

bppe:
Yes I have CPanel and Softaculous!

llegrand:
https://www.softaculous.com/docs/Clone

this is a good guide in the details of cloning your site

please read it with care -  but it will allow you to make an exact copy of your exisitng site - including keeping your login creds the same.

The easiest way I have found it to clone your site to a subfolder -  eg if you have your working site   in yourdomain.com/store   then have it cloned to yourdomain.com/test  or what ever name you want.   If your workinng site in in root,  you can still do it the same way,  but you may have to manually add the /test  to your htacess.  file.

Once you have this cloned you,  work in that -   running an update,  adjust some feature to see how it might affect something -  in other words  you treat this as a sandbox to test any new function and see if the results are desireable,  but you do not affect your working site.   This becomes quite important after you publicly launch your site. 

Additionally  -  softaculous is a good way to make a complete backup of your working installation with database.   I recommend you to do this prior to making any changes.   If anything goes wrong ,  the restore feature from the backup is very easy and fast.

https://www.softaculous.com/docs/How_to_Backup_an_Installation

If you did not use Softaculous for your original installation -  you will need to import your working site into the Softaculous dashboard in order to clone, etc.

https://www.softaculous.com/docs/How_to_Import_an_Installation

bppe:
Thank you very much for all that! I'll try this on right now... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version