Author Topic: Help with export and import  (Read 4391 times)

Offline alevene

• View Profile
Help with export and import
« on: March 24, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »
When I export the product database I an overwhelmed with hundreds of columns. Does anyone know what column numbers are the mostly commonly used to change product descriptions/prices/accessories prices and so on.

Excel can hide unused columns and if the visible tables can be reduced to a dozen columns or so, it will be much easier to work with as an export and a subsequent import.

Are there any videos or guides specifically on working with exports and imports?

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: Help with export and import
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
AbanteCart import/export is a flexible low level data manipulation. It gives flexibility with the way you can move data, but unfortunately, with flexibility comes complexity.

Numbers represent record ID for specific elements.

There is no extensive manual, but this is a start:
http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/tools/import.html

Data elements closely represent database tables/fields/relationship.
Feel free to explore and help with the manuals if you can.

I agree that we probably need to think of creating simple import export for most common data points. This is on todo list
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline alevene

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:15:33 AM »
I'll work on it, but clearly you need to simplify the export and import of the commonly changed items, or even change the csv position of the zillion columns so that the key fields are at the first columns. In that way, a user can ignore the others.

Or test and see if you can link an Access or similar database engine directly into MySQL so prices, descriptions and so on can be changed dynamically. Or add a simple tabular view within AbanteCart so it easier and faster to work with.

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 01:01:57 PM »
Thank you. Simplified import/export is on TODO list.
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline sts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 05:06:13 PM »
Was a detailed manual / instruction set ever developed for import / export? Th8s thread was from 2017. I'm really struggli g to understand how this works.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 01:02:32 AM »
Was a detailed manual / instruction set ever developed for import / export? Th8s thread was from 2017. I'm really struggli g to understand how this works.

Hello. Check the docs
https://abantecart.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AD/pages/14975089/Import+Export

Offline sts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 11:33:22 AM »
Hello:
I've been over the documentation thoroughly. I was hoping to find information regarding what columns are necessary, and what columns are not needed.
I've been at this for quite awhile. I've set up a store, edited the CSS file to adjust header size, replace logos, change colors, etc. I've been through the localization successfully, have set default currency, countries, zones, etc. I understand how to enter categories and products individually, but cannot get a modified products csv file to upload correctly.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:36:55 AM by sts »

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 12:08:54 AM »
Hello.
Create one product and export it. Open the exported file to get the example of structure.
Documentation have the examples too