Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: USPS First Class doesn't show  (Read 12260 times)

Offline chickeneps

• View Profile
USPS First Class doesn't show
« on: April 26, 2017, 11:30:54 AM »
I am starting my AbanteCart install and setup. I entered one product with the l-w-d 6-3-1, Length Class inch, and the weight 6 with the weight class ounce. In extensions I have the default_usps module, and the weight class is ounce and length class inch also. First Class and Priority Mail are turned on.

When I check out, the USPS options come up, and the weight says 0.37 (which is 6/16 of an ounce), but First Class does not show up, only Priority Mail.

Why doesn't it show up?

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: USPS First Class doesn't show
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 03:36:43 PM »
I think single envelope with First Class  is up to 3.4 oz. Did not you say you set  "weight 6 with the weight class ounce"?

https://www.usps.com/ship/mail-shipping-services.htm

“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline chickeneps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
How does "single envelope" apply to the question - First Class mail applies to envelopes and also flats and parcels. I'm selling stuff and that never needs an envelope, most everything needs a box or a jiffy envelope, which is technically called First-Class Mail/Package/Thick Envelope. For business, this would be by far the most popular. Who sells any tangible thing and sends it out in a flat envelope?

Don't tell me the default_usps Extension doesn't include this!

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »
USPS controls what option to show based on the weight/dimensions. Looks like some condition is not met and USPS is not showing this options.

Try to play with settings and weights.
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline chickeneps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 05:22:16 PM »
I did. The first post show the exact measurements and the exact weight. Please reference it.

I'm not sure what to "play around with" - exact is exact. If I give those things another value, it just makes the weight/size wrong, creating another problem.

What about your cart? It seems any business (surely) is going to have a 6oz-ish - the range is 1-15oz nowadays - of First-Class package or thick envelope support. Most items need cushioning so bubble/other is needed, thus invalidating any Flat/Envelope rate. To ignore First-Class Package rates is like going to a hamburger place just for the fries.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:22:10 PM by chickeneps »

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »
I just tested this and there are 2 problems here.

1. There is a bug with ounce based calculations in USPS. We will address this.
For now you can use pound based calculation and it will work correctly.

2. 6/16 lb is = 0.37 lb = 5.92 oz,  and exceeds First-Class package limitation of 3.5 oz

See 2 screenshots to confirm how it works.

Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline chickeneps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 01:50:20 PM »
Thanks for your attention.

Please read my previous posts - I am a experienced shipper. Please read my posts carefully, I didn't write them out of ignorance.

You are confusing Letter rate and Package rate. First Class Package rate applies to 1-15 oz (actually 16, but let's skip that), not 3.5oz.

To show this, go to USPS web site, do Mail+Ship/Calculate Price. Do United States, put in two different zip codes, then click "Calculate price based on Shape and Size". Enter 0 pounds, 6 ounces, and click PACKAGE (not letter). You'll get many options, including this one, which is what AbanteCart should be supporting. It's called First-Class Mail Parcel, at least nowadays.

It's surprising to me why this is overlooked, as most small businesses ship this way, although First-Class may be a second to Priority Mail Flat Rate or Regional Rate A.

I couldn't attach anything (?), why does the forum allow me to try? How did you do it (guess you are a moderator). View it at chickensys DOT com SLASH bin SLASH firstclassparcel.png

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 06:13:09 PM »
We will review "First Class Package" and update if necessary. Code update will be here later.

I think you need 10 posts before you can post attachments or external links/URLS.
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline chickeneps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »
Thanks for considering it. (Like I said, I just don't understand how this wasn't noted before, it's the 2nd most common shipping option. It's like a grocery store opening and not stocking milk.)

When you said "Code Update Here" do you mean on this forum thread? If not, how would I know? I can't use the cart until then, all my packages go First Class Mail Parcel.

Makes sense about the attachments.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »
Thanks for considering it. (Like I said, I just don't understand how this wasn't noted before, it's the 2nd most common shipping option. It's like a grocery store opening and not stocking milk.)
I am not sure what answer you are looking for. I know many customers offer free or flat rate shipping. This is more customer friendly approach.

When you said "Code Update Here" do you mean on this forum thread? If not, how would I know? I can't use the cart until then, all my packages go First Class Mail Parcel.
We will post update details here and in the issue tracking
https://github.com/abantecart/abantecart-src/issues/845

Offline chickeneps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 11:20:24 AM »
Yes, that's true about free or flat-rate shipping. But even so, First-Class shipping is still highly popular, top 3. Sorry for complaining, but it really is a true question.

The reason I do shipping variances is because I'm selling equally to US, Canada, and International, and the rates are quite different for a 6oz package. If I ate the shipping, it's highly unfair to certain people and too fair for others. Flat rate for many shopping carts isn't separable with where the package goes, so it's the same problem.

Offline sewnsails

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »
Hey Chickeneps, did you find a solution for your shipping issue regarding first class package. I have exactly the same problem.

Offline chickeneps

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »
According to the GitHub posting it seems to have been fixed in early May. Perhaps you are running older software and need the revision(s) after that time period.