Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Imoort - use names instead of an arbitrary #s  (Read 9079 times)

Offline FCWC

• View Profile
Imoort - use names instead of an arbitrary #s
« on: August 17, 2017, 06:31:10 PM »
New to Abantecart.
Giving it a try due to it's import capabilities.  So first - it takes allot of digging to find all the necessary documents on Import/Export.  IE - Action(s)  (Update the DOCs)
So getting to grips with the Import process and have found that when using the delete action the
database does not reset Cat_ID #'s.   If a user did not have to know these #'s it wouldn't matter but since you must know a parent ID in order to have a child they are very important in importing data.

Which brings my first suggestion - should be able to import via TEXT data only with  a maker for child or parent.
Say we have 20 different main categories
CAT-1 through CAT-20. Say each main category has 2 sub categories. So we have another 40 SubCats. (SubCat1 through SubCat40) System as it is now I would assign ID's (making sure database is clear) and Import in 2 parts. With MAIN first and then SUBs 2nd. (I tired in a single file using parent_cat_id but even though the TEST didn't error. The Import did)
After all this anytime you want to import products you will need to know the specific Cat ID #s for the particular item.   In my case this is 84 #'s.   Instead of Putting the name (ie Subcat-10) into a field one has to refer to a table lookup.  If you didn't assign them you have to export.

So is it not possible to have it where we use the names instead of an arbitrary #?
Simple file structure to import Categories:
Header: Category name , Cat. Description, Parent/Child , Parent Cat, cat Image file/path
Data:      Main Cat 1        ,  Main Cat 1       , Parent          , 0               , categories/MainCat1.jpg  )
Data:      Sub Cat 1         ,  Sub Cat 1         ,Child             , Main Cat 1, categories/SubCat1.jpg

In regards to products you would just use Sub Cat 1 under Category instead of the Product_Cat._ID #

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Imoort - use names instead of an arbitrary #s
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 04:50:49 AM »
Hello.

In upcoming 1.2.11 version will be Import Wizard where you dont need to use ID's for BASIC import
For testing purpose only you can try it https://github.com/abantecart/abantecart-src/tree/1.2.11

Offline FCWC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
By basic import I assume you mean products without a matrix (attributes)

Since I am new to ABC I haven't gotten to import product yet as I was figuring out Import for Categories and Manufacturers. (best practices)
Since I'm just starting I will setup another instance of this beta.

Ironically the #1 down fall of 99.5% ALL e-commerce and POS applications is that they were not created with the starting point of data importation.
They are all built around manual input of data.  Also most are not built to handle a matrix's correctly. (Matrix is the retail term for attributes. Most commonly Color and size combinations for goods.)   So when you are thinking about the process think it terms of matrixed goods.   
Example - a shoe
Distributor | Brand | Style (name) | SKU (not UPC)| Description | Category | Sub Cat| Color | Size| Cost | Retail | UPC |EAN | Date Added | Image | Visible

Distributor - because you can have more than one source for the same goods with 2 different prices.
Brand - say Nike, Reebok, etc
Style - Name of shoe Ex: Air Force One
SKU/Manufacturers ID - doesn't have to be used but most shoes, as well as other goods will have a numerical sku. EX: 6100543167
Description - self defined.
Category - Main category.  Ex: Shoes
Sub Cat - Sub category. Belongs to the above parent main category. Ex: Mens  Can have more than 1 sub cat. I have never seen more than 2 used.
Color - text input with color way ex: Black Leopard Tan  , or just Black.  User defined -no 15 character limit here!
Size - 10, 9.5 , 8 etc etc. 
Cost - wholesale price
Retail- selling price
UPC - # of product (unique identifier)
EAN - If outside the US/Canada
Date Added - self defined
Image - just like you have it  (image.jpg or folder/image)
Visible - 1 or 0 or Yes and No. Either way.

That is what I think is the minimum for a product import.
You can and should allow other data also at user discretion. Like location (store #) promotions etc.  All data to a product should be importable. All at the same time. (not parts)

Notice there is NO Action required.  It will always look for instance first, if so - Update, if not Insert. 
Every size/color combo will have a unique UPC.  So you could have 1 Style of shoe but hundreds of UPC's.  So ONE Product listing. Less user chooses to make multiples per color.

Other notes - Size don't worry about cross item types having the same size. IE a 7.5 shoe and say a 7.5 skateboard. Just give the ability to narrow search parameters.  in both Admin and Public sections.
IE 
Search Term: 7.5
Manufacturer:  ALL pr specific
Category: Shoes
Sub Cat: Mens
Etc

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:58:46 PM by FCWC »

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »
Thank you for sharing. In new AbanteCart import Wizard, user can map fields, so Matrix should not be a problem.
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett