Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Install Error  (Read 4843 times)

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
Install Error
« on: July 18, 2020, 09:20:41 PM »
First off, let me say that before installing Abantecart I signed on and asked a few questions about it, and received some very nice answers.  Based mainly on this type of support, I would like to install this and try it out.

To be brief, here's what I'm doing:  I run a business related to radios from classic cars.  Part of this is an onlin sore where customers can order speakers and stereos.  I'm currently using OS-Commerce and have come to hate it.  I want to install Abantecart, configure it and load products into it, then change the links and remove the old software.  My website by the way is with Hostmonster.

I've tried to install Abantecart, and have run into a roadblock.  Hostmonster, who usually gives me great support, can't seem to figure this out.  I was told that my php.ini file has been updated to 7.3.  Still won't work.  Any advice?  I'm enclosing a screenshot.

I might add that I see no indication of which folder it's talking about.  I would suspect that the old software is in a subfolder called OS-Commerce, and this would make a new subfolder called Abantecart.  Is this true?  Do I need to make a subfolder manually?  If so, how do I do this?  Sure, I could make a subfolder easily enough, but how do I firect Abantecart installation to go there?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:26:03 PM by Gary Tayman »

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Re: Install Error
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 09:40:11 PM »
Hi Gary,   
I see you are using Softaculous,  IMO  that is good.  I am assuming you want to give AbanteCart a try to see how it all does before you make that your live site.

You need to designate a directory  (subfolder)     

so  it would be something like this -   https://  (the protocol)  garytayman.com (the domain)   abantecart  (the directory)
replace the abantecart with whatever name you want  - store,  shop,  test 
softaculous will make the directory for you and assign the database etc.

Lee from
The WHY2 Support Team
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:32:29 AM by llegrand »

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  Remember I don't do this stuff every day.  The default folder is Admin, and I wasn't sure if it needed to stay that way and there was another place to put Abantecart, or if it makes its own folder called Abantecart, or what it does.  I'm sure that whatever I guess at, it will be wrong, which is why I'm asking.  So -- will it make the folder, or do I have to make the folder before installing?

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 12:04:24 AM »
you simply need to put the directory (subfolder)  name in the field labeled  Directory  (otherwise it will install in the root)

See image for some details.

Yes,  it will make the directory -  but in this case you should be using a new directory  for your testing purposes.

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 09:04:52 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Success!

This is why I asked first.  Installing this in the root directory would have made quite a mess!  I knew the answer would be an easy one; but I simply wanted to ask first before proceeding.

I checked with CoreFTP and it's there, so very good.  I also went to my website and added /AbanteCart to the URL, and got a page with sample products -- essentially the consumer page.

But now for the million dollar question:  How do I get to the admin page to start setting up?  I typed /admin and it says forbidden.  I need to get to a login page, then make a shortcut on my desktop so I can get back in easily.  I'm still using Windows 7 on my desktop (don't ask).  (Okay, I'll answer if you're curious -- I installed Windows 10 the day it was introduced, and half of my business apps refused to work, so I had to go back to 7.  All my other computers are 10 but this one.)

I'm sure it's another easy-peasey answer.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:17:57 PM by Gary Tayman »

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 09:32:02 PM »
By the way, just spending a few minutes in the main page, I'm VERY impressed!  I love the improvement, and can't wait to get this up and running!

One interesting thing -- I'll have to rethink this -- I currently have charts -- example, if you have a 1968 Camaro, it uses THESE kickpanels -- and a link directly to the product.  The interface with AbanteCart is so much better, I can find things much more easily -- but I still need to incorporate these charts into the mix.  It may take a serious redo.  But it'll be worth it, as I'm really impressed with the look.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 10:19:48 PM »
So success! - Good Job.

now for the admin page -  the simple way to find your admin  and to remember how to find it in the future is to take advantage of Softaculous. 

Here's our posting on our WHY2 info hub  -  on your edit page it will give you the admin URL  that was set upon the installation.
this also provides you with a way to change your Admin password  if you every find yourself remembering it.  Saved many cart users "lock out"  when they forgot their password.

https://why2central.net/knowledgebase/reset-admin-password/

Lee from
WHY2 Support Team

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 03:22:16 AM »
Okay, roadblock!
Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

When I installed Abantecart, it asked what name and password to use.  I put in username Boss.  I entered a password.  I double-checked the password to verify before proceeding.  All looked good.

Then I got an e-mail stating that AbanteCart was successfully installed, with some details.  It displayed username as Boss, and showed a password of ********.  No display, eight digits, and the password I put in had 16 digits.

So then I came to this forum and read your note.  Interesting that I have to edit the password, but I followed your instructions and put in my 16 digit password.  When I clicked to save, a smallk window came up in the top right corner, asking if I want to save this.  It showed Boss, and more asterisks, that again did not look right.  I clicked the eye, and it displayed garbage.  I typed in my 16 digit password once again, and saved it.

Still not sure what I'm doing, I went to the "store" and l clicked Accounts.  I entered Boss and my 16-digit password, got errors saying my password is bad.

Is this how I'm supposed to go into Admin, by going to Accounts?  Am I supposed to go somewhere else?  How do I get into Admin?

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 10:30:56 AM »
slight confusion here it seems -
1.  you need to know the URL for your admin panel  -
you email  showed two URL  -  one for the storefront (customers)  and one for you the admin
admin url are labeled as such 
Admin URL
https://axxxx.com/test2/index.php?s=admin123

The ***** in the email  is not always representative of the number of characters used,  it is a masking ploy - so the 8 *** has not relationship to the number (16) of characters you used in your password.

You just need to go to the ADMIN URL,  enter your user name and your password to open your admin dashboard.

The previous Softaculous info,  has the additional ability to change your password via softaculous  if you forget it  and the change password routine with the admin page fails, as it sometimes does

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 09:11:17 PM »
Okay, I tried and it didn't work.

I posted exactly what I typed, but can't post.  My website is garytayman  period  com.  If I add /AbanteCart it takes me to the store.

It's hard to explain things here, as the forum keeps changing things on me.  it's / a b a n t e , without the cart.  That's the folder I made.  I tried /AbanteCart/admin123, no dice.  Uh, once again without the cart.

You may try if you like.  How do I get to the admin sign-in page?  I searched for this in the user manual and there's nothing there that I could find.  I had tried the accounts because I couldn't find it anywhere else; makes sense to be elsewhere but I can't find it.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 09:24:54 PM by Gary Tayman »

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 09:50:56 PM »
Maybe this will help.  This is what my website looks like in CoreFTP.  I've attached a screenshot.  Second screen, I went into the AbanteCart folder, no cart.  Third screen, I went into admin.  Does this help?

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 11:17:48 PM »
posted in error  - ignore
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 11:23:43 PM by llegrand »

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 09:06:14 PM »
Just to let you know, I REALLY appreciate the help you gave me.  I'm now loged into my admin page, and have had a chance to poke around and get used to it.  As for where to start, I've printed out the "Going live checklist" in the documentation.

Since I don't do this every day, I'm looking this over and scratching my head.  So I have new questions, which I'll be posting on a new thread.

Thanks again!