Author Topic: USPS Shipping  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
USPS Shipping
« on: July 25, 2020, 10:32:36 PM »
Okay, I have another stupid, basic question.

Please pardon me for asking so many questions in this manner, but I'm taking very slow steps to ensure I'm doing things right.

Installing USPS was too easy.  My former software -- it took 9 years and I never did get it working.  Here, I installed it and bada bing!

I turned it on and I turned the flat rate default module off.  So I'm assuming that every order will have a shipping calculation based on USPS.

Within that module, or extension if you prefer, just below the enable switch there is a debug switch, which I left off.  I left everything else as is.  What is this debug?  Should I keep it off, or do I need it in some way?

There were options on that pae for adding box dimensions, etc., which obviously I don't know and will change with each order anyway.  I did put in a name and password, not quite sure why I need this.  Can this extension calculate a shipping cost based solely on weight?  That's all I have for most of the products.

Thanks in advance.  Although a newbie, my experience with AbanteCart so far has been really pleasant.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:48:59 PM by Gary Tayman »

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Re: USPS Shipping
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 11:50:05 AM »
Hey Gary,
Which USPS do you have installed?   the Default one or the USPS Integration from within the MarketPlace.
default USPS  will be Version:1.0.2
USPS Integration from the MarketPlace will be v 1.2.16xx

The Debug is only within the USPS Integration,  it is usually in the OFF condition.  It is there to assist when there is some issue between the settings and the USPS rate look up.   It reports ALL of the api calls and the results.  This makes a very long error log -  so it only needs to be on in case of an issue. 

Again  depending on which USPS you are using the guidance for the box sizes are different.  But it is designed to place your average size dims  in case you didn't input them in the product page  (dims size affect the rates that are charged)

Both extensions calculate shipping cost on the weight as assigned to each product on the product pages.  Weight, then size, then zone are the controlling factors for rate lookup.

As to your username and password -  these are NOT your USPS shipping account info. 
You need USPS Web Tools user ID. This is NOT your USPS shipping account information.
Get the Web Tools User ID here: register.  https://registration.shippingapis.com/

Here is the manual for the default USPS:
https://abantecart.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AD/pages/17661953/USPS

Here is the manual for the USPS Integration found in the MarketPlace
https://why2central.net/v1/usps/

Lee from
The WHY2 Support Team

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 07:39:10 PM »
Thanks again for your help, and for the links.

The USPS extension I used is the default.
I've enabled two options for shipping -- Priority Mail for domestic, and Priority Mail International for the rest.  However, if I can get the UPS Extension working, I can select UPS Ground for domestic and USPS for international, as this is how my supplier does it.

So first the good news -- I printed the instructions for USPS, and found UPS and printed that as well.  USPS looks like it's ready to rock 'n roll.  UPS requires an Access Key, which I get by going into their developer kit and selecting an API.  Question:  which API do I select, just to get an access key, just to get a calculation when a customer places an order?  As for username and password, do I use my account number and password?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:04:20 PM by Gary Tayman »

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 09:27:27 PM »
Here is the info for the default UPS

https://abantecart.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AD/pages/17924098/UPS

I it sadly lacking in the how you obtain you key -  as they offer only this.
To offer this shipping method to your customers, you must first open an account with UPS.

For more complete info -  go our our information hub  https://why2central.net/v1/ups/
and read  the UPS Developer Kit info.   It will provide links and directions on how to get your necessary creds for UPS to work.

The Support Team
at WHY2

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 10:04:58 PM »
Thanks once again -- I will go through it.  Yes, I already have a UPS account.

I've spent some time with AbanteCart this evening.  I've jumped to the fun part, and replaced the make-up categories with various stereos and speakers.  Before long I can start removing and installing some of the products.

The things I still need to do, set up Paypal, set up sales tax for Florida customers, and rearrange the banner page.

At first it seems like I'm at the second step, climbing the Washington Monument, but actually I'm making some serious headway.  It might not be long before I go live.

thanks again!

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 07:00:54 PM »
Okay, it looks like I have UPS configured.  The only thing questionable is the username, which I used my UPS Account Number, as well as password.  If this is incorrect  let me know.  I'll be trying it out soon, hopefully.  Thanks again!

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 07:42:31 PM »
Hey Gary, 

couple of things here:

First please make a NEW post of a new topic -  that makes it more useful for others.  You've added UPS  to your USPS original post. so if you have questions on the sales tax setup -  please make a new topic.

Now about the UPS  account -  just to be sure you are NOT using your UPS shipping account -  the one you would log into to make a shipping label.

You will need to get an API key from UPS. Go to the Developer Kit https://www.ups.com/upsdeveloperkit?loc=en_US/

For more complete info -  go our our information hub  https://why2central.net/v1/ups/
and read  the UPS Developer Kit info.   It will provide links and directions on how to get your necessary creds for UPS to work.

The WHY2 Support Team

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »
I went through this and I have my access key, but I saw nothing about an ID or password that's any different from my account.  USPS -- yes, but I didn't see it in UPS.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 07:55:21 PM »
then perhaps you have the info you need,  give it a try

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 10:06:15 PM »
Thanks.  Didn't mean to hijack the USPS thread with UPS, but each time I thought I was done, I wasn't done.  I'll try it later and if it doesn't work, I'll investigate.

Offline hanisa

• View Profile
    • hanime tv
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 01:29:17 PM »
Read the UPS Wiki or contact their online support to have your doubts answered.

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 02:42:08 PM »
Thanks for all your help.

I believe I have USPS and UPS operating, along with Paypal setup and a little overall design setup.
I've also been really busy, which is unusual for this time of the year, but I'll take it.  So I haven't done much recently, and haven't tested things yet.  The online store is only a small part of the business, so no pressure for time.  But the day will come, and if I have further questions I'll post in a new thread.  Believe me, everything I've seen so far I'm impressed with.  I think I'm taking the right choice with AbanteCart.

Thanks again everyone!