Shopping Cart Operations > Opinions

Is Abantecart emerging or dying?

<< < (3/3)

kellyma53:
I still have hope for abantecart

abantecart:
We have many things in a pipeline and couple are very interesting.
Unfortunately this plans are moving slow, as our team is pilled into different directions to keep existing customer happy.

I am setting more priority on upcoming features that are inline with new marketing strategies.

llegrand:
Not to put too fine of a point on it,  but October 11, 2017, was the initial post of 2.0 starting post.  Third anniversary and still counting.

We are no longer sitting on the edge of our seats in anticipation.  For me it has moved to a feeling of dread as to what pitfalls we're going to experience in conversion from v1  to v2.  I sincerely hope for  what portents to be a major change will be better tested by MORE of us users and extension developers prior to launch so the prior shortcomings of version updates are not replicated.

After 7+ years using AbanteCart we are committed to AbanteCart and know that it has great merit even in spite of some major failures in some upgrades. 

Regards, with my fingers crossed for excellence
Lee  from the WHY2 support team

Anon:
Coming back to check on the Abantecart, it's nice to see there's plan for updates still. Lets hope 2021 will see some updates and growth with 2.0 release.

OneMore:
I snubbed AbanteCart for (too) long time, likely because some other carts are mentionned more on Internet, and because AbanteCart looses competition in stupid "Versus" comparisons like "how many themes", "how many extensions", and "which is the most powerful cart".

I am myself a developer with the experience of several shopping cart systems, but also as a merchant.
I have been using MaianPal (formerly MaianCart), CubeCart and others.

Recently I have been giving a try to Prestashop.
For sure, it is a powerful system, but I have found that basic tasks like adding categories and products were slow.
Prestashop database is to my opinion unnecessarily complex (two many tables, two many fields) because almost everything is stored in database. Simple customization may reveal complex in practice.
There are also good things with Prestashop, like its hooking system, but most of the time we don't need all this complexity.

In comparison, by looking at the database and the file hierarchy, AbanteCart appears to me as a better structured project, and I am almost sure I will be able to customize it more easily to match my needs.
So, yes, from what I have seen so far I like AbanteCart very much.

Very often, the size of a community makes more the success of a project that its intrinsic qualities.
Many excellent projects "died" because their communities were too small.
Think how many good CMS were "killed" by Joomla and then Wordpress. Those were/are not necessarily the best CMS but had/have huge number of users.

When developping a new major version "2.0", one risk --as with every fork-- is to split an already small community in two even smaller communities. This may kill a community.

As a developer, I perfectly understand that it is sometimes necessary to give a fresh breeze to a project, but onboarding users of version 1.x to the 2.x will be critically important to not kill the community.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version