support

Author Topic: How to forward New Categories to certain product(s)?  (Read 6022 times)

Offline PrinceEdward

• View Profile
How to forward New Categories to certain product(s)?
« on: July 13, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »
Hi, Dear Support Team

I am not allowed to post external links, I have to delete all external links but how it could be showed to descripe the problems?

I am trying to set up an ecommerce website with AbanteCart, however, I am not able to forward any new category to a product or products. Probably I missed one of the important step but I did not know where it should be.
Could you advise how to create a new category (or categories) and forward them to certain products properly?
Please see my testing website ( it is not set up properly, just for testing at this stage)
mydomainname/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=111 (this is the product link)
I wish to forward the category(mydomainname/mobile-phone) to the above product, but could not find anywhere to link them together.

I tried layout but did not work.
For "Menu", it can forward to another address easily by adding its links while creating the new menu such as mydomainname/osclass/

However, I could not understand how to forward the new category to a certain product(s)
Please advise how to upload some new products under the new category, which I did not find any tutorial from Youtube either.
I really appreciate your time and great help!

(This ecommerce website will be used to provide high cost performance ratio products from all over the world and integrated supply chain to provide the same quality products but lower price, or the same price but a better quality and service worldwide. Hopefully this website will contribute more effort to our environment and ethical human resource management.)

Edward

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Re: How to forward New Categories to certain product(s)?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »
I believe you are trying describe using SEO friendly links.  if that is correct,  here is what you need to do and where to set it up

Use SEO URLs: To use SEO URL's Apache module mod-rewrite must be installed and you need to rename the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess

Search Engine Friendly URLs allows you to activate categories and product's SEO Keyword setting. For each product and category you can assign seo keyword visible in url. This will better describe a product's page to visitors and search engines.
  mod_rewrite is something that is installed on your server by your web host. You need to ask your host (or look in their help guide) to find out if you have it.
Note: If you access store with sub-folder like http://www.mydomain/subfolder make sure to change RewriteBase / to RewriteBase /subfolder/ in the .htaccess file.
This above information is found in the documentation:

http://www.abantecart.com/ecommerce-documentation/50-admin-user-manual/system/settings#Details%20Tab
Then once you have this done,  you need to be sure within each product description there is something in the field called  SEO Keyword

that will get you .........../shop/baking-confectionery/brazil-nut  urls' that look like that rather than product = id111

Offline PrinceEdward

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:54:21 PM »
Hi, llegrand
Thanks for your help!
Your answer suppose to a higher level of a problem I am going to face for next step, at the stage, even I am not able to create a new category and forward it to a certain product.
The problem is, after creating a new category for instance "New Category1", and uploaded a "new product1", I wish to forward from the "New category1" to "new product1" when anyone click on "New category1" button, however, it shows a blank page rather than going anywhere, it means the new category I created and the new product have not linked at all, I used "relations" to link them together but still not work.
For SEO URLs, I really want to use it later, but before publishing any new products through new categories, in fact, I am not able to use AbanteCart properly.
I really appreciate your time and help!
Edward

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:32:06 PM »
Well let's try this:

here's the basics of how the categories and products interact;

you have a category  let's call it First Category - need to make categories first so you have a place to send the products dectails to.
Y
ou have a product Product A. 

On Product A  -Product Summary page is a field with all the Categories you have made, including First Category.  You must select at least one category field for each Product.   You can select multiple categories if you wish.

You must also have a store enabled - default is the first store.

And you must also have the product set to ON to show up.

Now Relations is an area to refer customers to other products they might like -  on Product A,  you point it to Product B.   When a customer opens the tab called related products -  they will see a small pic of Product B, the title and they can click and go to Product b page.

Offline PrinceEdward

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:24:39 AM »
Just tried according to llegrand's instruction, however, the new category I created still doesn't forward to anywhere, just a blank page.
I noticed the sample categories will forward to a location link which like" mydomainname/index.php?rt=product/category&path=49_51", but my new category will only show the name of the new category such as "mydomainname/Phones" (The name of the new category is "Phones"), then it will forward to nowhere, just a blank page.
I tried to put products under a sample category, it works properly, can be seen from clicking the sample category, but the new category I created can't do the same job.
I wander if I need to modify some blocks or listing source for the new category?
Still struggling on the categories problem.
Thanks a lot to llegrand's great help, at least he encouraged me to go forward.
Edward

Offline PrinceEdward

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 09:23:12 AM »
The previous installation might have some bugs, after reinstalled the AbanteCart, the problem has been solved.
Many thanks to llegrand who gave me prompt support, otherwise I might abandon AbanteCart to another ecommerce platform.
I really appreciate your great help!

Edward

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »
you're most welcome.  this is a very nice cart.  And has tremendous abilities.  Glad you gave it a second look.

And the board here is quite helpful

Lee