Author Topic: My Abantecart site is down -- help!  (Read 895 times)

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
My Abantecart site is down -- help!
« on: February 21, 2024, 06:46:21 PM »
I set up my Abantecart site a few years ago.  Got EXCELLENT help from folks here, and once set up, it has been running seamlessly.

NOW I have a problem, and I hope someone can help.

My platform is Hostmonster.  I have been using them for years, and their service and support has been phenomenal -- until now.  On January 10th my e-mail stopped working.  I called and got runaround.  Long story short, I've called MANY times and have received no help whatsoever -- just shuck and jive.  Currently, thanks to a third party, I can get e-mail through Microsoft mail, but that's all.  I've complained and complained, resulting only in frustration.

But that's e-mail, I posted this for background.  TODAY I went to my Abantecart page, and all I'm getting is a blank screen..  Have tried throughout the day, it's gone completely.  I called Hostmonster once again, got more shuck and jive, and was finally told it's not their problem and that's Abantecart's fault.

Has Abantecart changed something?  All I know is the site is down.  Is there some way this can be checked?  Also, the overall service is so bad now that I'm ready to change platforms.  Will there be some way to move my site elsewhere without having to start from scratch?  There are so many products, and so much work, that if I can't move, or get it working. I may have to delete it entirely and quit doing e-commerce.  I'm hoping you can help.  Thanks!

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My Abantecart site is down -- help!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 02:23:12 AM »
Hello.
AbanteCart has no permission or tools to change anything on your server. Most likely they upgrade your server or move you to another, that's why your mail stops working as well can cause unexpected errors due to different PHP version, lower RAM or some php modules like mod_security.

Start your investigation by asking hosting what they changed recently and check the AbanteCart error log, server error log, PHP error log.

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 08:00:36 AM »
Thanks for getting back with me.  I suspected it was a change by Hostmonster that did this, but calling them accomplished nothing.  They blamed it on Abantecart and said there's nothing they can do.

Believe me, I'm not happy.  E-mail problems and now website problems, and they're washing their hands of it.  Meanwhile I'm out of business.

It appears the solution is to fire these guys and start over using a new platform.  It's going to be ugly but it's the only way.  Is there ANY way I can download all the Abantecart files and somehow upload them to the new site?

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 09:59:05 AM »
Thanks for getting back with me.  I suspected it was a change by Hostmonster that did this, but calling them accomplished nothing.  They blamed it on Abantecart and said there's nothing they can do.

Believe me, I'm not happy.  E-mail problems and now website problems, and they're washing their hands of it.  Meanwhile I'm out of business.

It appears the solution is to fire these guys and start over using a new platform.  It's going to be ugly but it's the only way.  Is there ANY way I can download all the Abantecart files and somehow upload them to the new site?

The solution is to start an investigation and check the error logs.
To move to another hosting check this doc https://abantecart.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AD/pages/22511620/Changing+Domain+Name#ChangingDomainName-Movetoanotherhosting

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 11:57:44 AM »
Thank you very much!

I might try once more to contact Hostmonster to see if they can help, but based on calls of the last several days I'm not holding my breath.

I'll be paying an IT expert to do some of this for me, and I'm sure we'll be changing providers.  Ny hope is to set up for more streamlined e-commerce.  I know it's all there But I don't understand how to set it up.

Thanks again for your help.  Abantecart support has been super -- please don't change!

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 10:19:11 PM »
FWIW -- I tried once again to get Hostmonster support.  They told me that Abantecart is part of Wordpress and they no longer support Wordpress.

I'm not kidding, that's what they told me.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 01:26:13 AM »
Hello.
It is time to move to new hosting. What is your AbanteCart version?

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 08:29:45 AM »
Abantecart version.  I can't tell you because I can't access it.  But yes, it's time to fire these guys and move on.  The problem is, I don't know how to do it, and I'm shopping for someone who can.  I'm just hoping I can retrieve it all.  It's thoroughly disgusting to spend many hours over many months to set up an e-commerce site, only to see it go down and have the service provider flip me the bird.  I hate to say it but if I have to start from scratch, I may just give up and quit.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 09:34:43 AM »
Hello.
If you have access to the hosting panel you can find the version in the /core/version.php file.

Just to let you know, AbanteCart offers a maintenance/migration service that you might be interested in.
Please take a moment to check for more details https://managed.abantecart.com/

Offline Gary Tayman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 10:23:43 AM »
THANKS!

I'm currently shopping for an IT service.  The entire mess of moving platforms is something beyond my capability.  I want to KEEP Abantecart if I can, and whoever I hire, I'll circle back to your information and try to move this.  I think in the end this will be a good move.

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.