Author Topic: Search Question/Issue  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Dave1960

• View Profile
Search Question/Issue
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »
Hello:

My website is inkandtonertoday.com. The search on the front page only works for complete tags and I would like to know if there is a way to get it to work like the regular search page that comes up when no results are found such as on this page inkandtonertoday.com/index.php?rt=product/search

For example, placing the search term "laserjet p2055 series" it comes up with results because that is the tag for some toner cartridges. However, when you put "P2055" (without the quotes) in the front page search block, it comes up with no results. But if you put it into the page that comes up as I stated above, it comes up with the results I want. Can you please explain how to make this happen?

Thank you!!

Dave

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Search Question/Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:59:24 AM »
Can you please explain how to make this happen?

Hello.

By default search look on for 'Product names' and 'complete tags'. Try to search with 'Search in product descriptions' enabled see link http://inkandtonertoday.com/index.php?rt=product/search&limit=&keyword=p2055&category_id=0&description=1&sort=undefined
by default it is OFF

Another solution is add more tags to products

Offline Dave1960

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 02:45:35 AM »
Thank you very much for this. We don't want to have to add more product tags because there will be 1000s of them all together. Where do I turn on the Search in Product Descriptions Enabled? Is it in a setting somewhere? I have looked and do not see it.

Thank you!

Dave

Offline Dave1960

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
Okay so it appears that the 'switch' is on that page that you sent me to, which I would have thought it would be in the settings.

Anyway, and I know this is picky but I have a VERY picky client - is there a way to strip the spaces on searches?

So for example if you search for " 12a" I get nothing but searching for "12a" comes up with the results.

Thank you again.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »
Hey Dave if your client is so "picky"  perhaps you should look at the search extension where you have more search setups.  It might be the better solution for your requirements.

http://marketplace.abantecart.com/?mp_token=be1u8fcqlrup6n1ceen2f90fv6&mp_hash=c906828200b74c9d1371b761be17aa57&rt=product/product&product_id=173

Offline Dave1960

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:18:03 AM »
I've already purchased it actually! I installed it but have seen no benefit to this whatsoever - all it did was add an additional search ability at a different place on the page. It doesn't appear to make things any easier, and the original search at the top right of the page stays the same. And as a matter of fact it appeared to completely screw up the original search box - it no longer worked after installing the extension and I had to reinstall the entire cart :(

What is your experience with it? Am I missing something with it?

Thank you.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:27:52 AM »
Sorry it is not an extension I have purchased.   The basic search function that comes with the cart is quite adequate for my needs

I just remembered there were some previous posts that suggested it for enhanced search options.  Sorry to hear it was disappointing.

You probably should have disabled the original search box - and I would expect that the extension could be installed where ever on the page you desired.    You have discovered the layout functionality and the ability to easily move the placement of blocks,  and turn them off and on?

Lee

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.