Author Topic: Solved --- Translation problem  (Read 5202 times)

Offline bppe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Solved --- Translation problem
« on: December 20, 2016, 04:34:56 PM »
Hi,
I am trying to make my shop bilingual, english and french.
The existing extension for french is obsolete, incomplete. I decided to copy the language files from english to french, make a new language that way. I used Winmerge to compare each file one by one, line by line.

The problem is that I still have lots of missing text in french (language definitions detected), and I still get english text where I translated it. I did not use the "automatic translation". It just keeps on staying in english (especially in the top header menu).

What did I miss and how can I get the header to be in french too?

Thanks a lot...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:23:15 PM by bppe »

Offline bppe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Translation problem
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 05:22:35 PM »
I finally found out how, after 3 days of searching and reading...

For those with the same issue, go to Design>Menu and select the language for which you want to change the translation... ::)

Offline Basara

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5838
  • Karma: +275/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Solved --- Translation problem
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 12:17:58 AM »
Hello.
You can backup and run Load missing data for french. This will copy all missed data from English to French. It is not only menu but a lot of things like products descriptions, order statuses, stock statuses and a lot of others etc.....
Then you go to admin select content language to french and translate only what you need. Load missing data tool help you to fill what is empty

Offline bppe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Solved --- Translation problem
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 07:49:46 AM »
Since it's an empty shop, I tried many things without being worried about the results... But after the third time I re-installed my French package, I tried it... But I still need to find out all the text that has been replaced to translate it manually, since I don't trust automatic translators for a good translation, and my shop's first language being French...;)

Now that it works, I am scanning all language description files manually to be sure all translations are there, which is long and boring, but at least it is accurate...!

I still can't understand how that much files couldn't be translated externally... I mean, I took all files one by one and copied their most recent version to translate them, and there are still many missing...

Offline Basara

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5838
  • Karma: +275/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Solved --- Translation problem
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 07:54:23 AM »
Hi.

If you translate all latest xml files and create extension you can share it or sell at AbanteCart Marketplace https://marketplace.abantecart.com/  ;)

So when you translate files it is not related to store dynamic data. Actually you can add some with sql when install your language extension but take a note every store can contain different dynamic data (location names, regions names, statuses names etc...)

Offline bppe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Solved --- Translation problem
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 08:05:51 AM »
I plan to make an updated extension with that when I'll be done, but I don't know sql yet, so it might take some time.... ;)

And as for the dynamic parts, it explains a lot, thanks!

Offline OneMore

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 46
  • Karma: +12/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Solved --- Translation problem
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 06:10:25 AM »
Hello,

My shop is using the default French machine translation imported from GitHub.

Although most translations are understandable, there are some weird things, so that I want to make the translations myself.

Instead of editing the translations in "System->Localizations->Language Definitions", I prefer editing them in the XML files, making them reusable.

But then, how would I reimport the improved translations for backend and frontend without deleting the translations of products, categories (a.s.o.), and keeping the same language ID.
I there a way to update translations from the XML files instead of inserting new records?

Offline Basara

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5838
  • Karma: +275/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Solved --- Translation problem
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 06:27:28 AM »
Hello.

To load definitions from the XML again try to go to the System->Localizations->Language Definitions and remove all. This should trigger reimport from XML files.

Offline OneMore

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 46
  • Karma: +12/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Solved --- Translation problem
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 12:23:19 PM »
Thank you, Basara.
Since there are quite of lot of pages in "System->Localizations->Languages", for those having phpMyAdmin and knowledge of SQL, I assume it would be easier to issue a query like:
Code: [Select]
SELECT * FROM `abc_language_definitions` WHERE language_id=5Not sure however that it would trigger the reimport from XML files.
I will backup the table and then test.

Offline Basara

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5838
  • Karma: +275/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Solved --- Translation problem
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 03:11:23 AM »
Hello.
If you change database make sure to clean AbanteCart Cache

 

Powered by SMFPacks Social Login Mod