Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Turned off category but product showing up in search  (Read 5037 times)

Offline jaseible

• View Profile
Turned off category but product showing up in search
« on: June 12, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
I have many categories and subcategories that I have turned to "off."
However, on the site when you search for a product that was within one of these "off" categories the product will still show up.  And in Abantecart the product itself shows as "on."
Why is this happening, and how can I get all the products "off" for a category or subcategory?
Thank you!

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Turned off category but product showing up in search
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 01:37:09 AM »
Hello.

Products can be without category or assigned to several categories. So when you disable category it will not disable products

Offline jaseible

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
With these products I have confirmed that they have only 1 category assigned and that category is turned off.
Any ideas?
Thank you

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:36:25 PM »
I'm no expert, but have you tried turning off the product in question? 

Each product has an on/off Status button in the list of products at Admin>Catalog>Products.

If I'm understanding Basara's comment correctly, the status of a product (on or off) is independent of any Category status. 

hope this helps...

Offline jaseible

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I could do that but it's probably 2,000+ products I am talking about, so I was assuming there is some other way to fix this other than doing it manually one by one for each and every product.

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »
I see what you mean. 

If you wish to delete the undesired products, there is a solution.

Go to Products. 

In the search area at the top, do a search using only one parameter: Select Category.  Leave everything else blank.  In the Select Category drop-down, choose the target Category and click the Go button. 
(you may need to re-enable the disabled target Category before you do this?)

This will yield a list of only the products from the target category. 

At the bottom of the displayed list, choose All to display all products in one long list. 

Tick the top-most checkbox to put a check in the box of every product. 

At the bottom right of the displayed list, click the Choose Action drop-down, choose "Delete selected". 

That should delete all of them. 

If you don't want to delete them, do some research and learn what the capabilities of the "Save selected" option are.  Maybe you can save them all as "off"?  I don't know, never tried it. 

Last idea: ask the AC dev's to add 2 more options to that Choose Action drop-down menu: Turn On, & Turn Off. 

Good luck!

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.