Author Topic: Different shipping options relating to location and weight  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Tobynator

• View Profile
Different shipping options relating to location and weight
« on: April 13, 2020, 08:08:37 AM »
Is there a way to add shipping options that the customer can select according to their location and is then calculated by weight?
I am based in New Zealand and the courier company that I want to use offers different prices for North Island and South Island deliveries as well as a surcharge for Rural delivery. The charges are based on a parcel up to 5 kg, so I would like the program to calculate the freight in 5kg lots.
Any help would be appreciated. ::)

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Different shipping options relating to location and weight
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:44:37 AM »
Hello.
The Weight Based Shipping shipping method allows you to add different per Locations rates based on weight.
Create several NZ location withs different zones
https://abantecart.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AD/pages/15990797/List+Locations

Offline RD

• View Profile
    • Modish, crafted contemporary design
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 05:51:39 PM »
Hi Tobynator,
I'm in NZ too, so know where you're coming from - we seem to have particularly complex shipping options here with urban & rural, different islands etc.  I had to use the weight-based shipping module, as mentioned by Basara.  Yours might be different and will depend on number and type of products but to give you an idea, I created two locations in System/Localization/Locations, one for rural, one for urban.   Then in Extension/Shipping turn on the "default_weight" module.  In there, under Additional Settings, you can specify the pricing for each of those locations based on the unit of weight you've got set for the cart (somewhere under System/Settings).  I set mine to Kgs, so under Additional Settings, I have 1:5.00,2:7.50  for urban  - this means 1kg is charged $5, 2kgs is $7.50.  For Rural I used 1:8.00,2:12.00.  Then you specify the weight of each product in Catalog/Products.  It might work out OK for your products but in my case I had to "make up" weights so that multiples of the product would still fit into the pricing structure for the cost bracket in Additional Settings (mentioned above).  If you have a lot of products, you might need to use Excel first to help get all the pricing & weight options sorted.  Cheers, Rich.

Offline Tobynator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 06:12:28 PM »
Hello.
The Weight Based Shipping shipping method allows you to add different per Locations rates based on weight.
Create several NZ location withs different zones

Thanks, that is just what I needed to know, very quick and helpful reply  :)

Offline Tobynator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 06:16:50 PM »
Hi Tobynator,
I'm in NZ too, so know where you're coming from - we seem to have particularly complex shipping options here with urban & rural, different islands etc.  I had to use the weight-based shipping module, as mentioned by Basara.  Yours might be different and will depend on number and type of products but to give you an idea, I created two locations in System/Localization/Locations, one for rural, one for urban.   Then in Extension/Shipping turn on the "default_weight" module.  In there, under Additional Settings, you can specify the pricing for each of those locations based on the unit of weight you've got set for the cart (somewhere under System/Settings).  I set mine to Kgs, so under Additional Settings, I have 1:5.00,2:7.50  for urban  - this means 1kg is charged $5, 2kgs is $7.50.  For Rural I used 1:8.00,2:12.00.  Then you specify the weight of each product in Catalog/Products.  It might work out OK for your products but in my case I had to "make up" weights so that multiples of the product would still fit into the pricing structure for the cost bracket in Additional Settings (mentioned above).  If you have a lot of products, you might need to use Excel first to help get all the pricing & weight options sorted.  Cheers, Rich.
Hello Rich - thanks for that info. I am setting up 4 zones for North and South Island and urban and rural for each. I have now set up the zones in the locations - how do I tell the weight based shipping module to use the different zones? If I have the zone South Island Rural (SIR) would I write SIR=1:5.00,2:7.50 and then a semicolon to start the next zones pricing?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:38:10 PM by Tobynator »

Offline RD

• View Profile
    • Modish, crafted contemporary design
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 09:08:51 PM »
I use NZ Post and just have 2 locations (rather than zones) set.  The downside with how I'm doing it is that the buyer is presented with those two options at checkout i.e. they choose rural or non-rural.  I've never had anyone choose the incorrect option as most people these days know whether their address is one or the other.  I can always email them if they get it wrong.  So you could maybe use 4 locations, South Island Rural SIR, South Island Urban SIU, and same for North Island NIR, NIU or whatever, and for each, the corresponding pricing structure like 1:5.00, 2:7.50  etc. 
Here's a working example for a product - say the product's real weight is 90g - I ignore the real weight and ask myself "how many can I send for $5, how many for $7.50" etc.  Say the answer is 4 items (maximum of 4 of the 90g products fit in a DLE size box) then I take the 1kg (1000g and divide by 4) and make the weight for each item in Catalog/Products 250g.  If someone orders 5, the weight flips over to the $7.50, and so on.  It's a work-around.  Might work for you, might not, but has been OK for me.  Cheers

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.